From:
Melissa Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melissa Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2006 00:22:41 -0700

Thanks everyone for the feedback on Vitamin D deficiency.

I got a couple suggestions to take B12 as well, which I am, my neurologist
put me on MetNX first thing, and I really like it as it has high doses of
the active forms of B6, B9 and B12.

Also suggestions to look out for deficiencies in the other fat soluble
vitamins (A, E and K).  Even though they didn't show up on the tests, I'll
be a bit more consistent about taking my vitamins to hopefully make up for
any absorption problems.  I wasn't high on any of them, so supplements
couldn't hurt.

Also thanks for info about tooth enamel defects, that this could definitely
be the cause so I'll look out for that in my children.  We all have issues
with milk, so it's hard to get enough vitamin D, A and Calcium from our
diets.

I can't recommend how much vitamin D anybody else can take, as I wouldn't
take the high doses I am without a doctor's orders and blood tests to
monitor it.  He has me taking fifty times what I was taking, and I thought
it was a high dose already.

I was asked what kind I'm taking and if I tolerate it well, it's a
prescription Vitamin D, so I'm not sure where it's from or what form it is,
and I'm not sure yet if I tolerate it...sorry I can't help more with that
question.  What I was taking, that I picked up at a health food store was
D3, and I tolerated it well.  It was free of common allergens, but other
than that I'm not sure of its source.  I probably don't have much trouble
tolerating most forms of D, so I couldn't say if it would work for somebody
more sensitive.

I'm also taking lots of calcium, 3 doses of 500 mg each.  I've heard calcium
citrate is a good form, so that's what I'm taking at the moment.

The symptoms I've had are actually from hypocalcemia, which can be caused by
vitamin D deficiency and a few other things.
http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/h/hypocalcemia/symptoms.htm
Fortunately my bone scans were normal, but the endocrinologist will give
those more scrutiny on my next visit.  He also ran a test on my parathyroid
hormone to see if that matches up with the diagnosis.

I can't really feel a difference yet after my first large dose and my first
day of extra calcium.  Maybe a slight difference, but I'm sure it won't be
instant since everything will have to re-balance itself out over time.

I'll update again in the coming months as we see some results or if anything
comes up.

-Melissa

*******
*******