From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Feb 2010 21:03:42 -0500

My annual Passover reminder....I think I've been doing this for going on 15 years....how old is this list????

Without going into religious reasons.......

First, the product must say Kosher for Passover, may be used for Passover, or Kp. Oats, rye and barley are forbidden on Passover and will not be an issue. Also, for religious reasons, cross-contamination is not an issue.

As far as wheat....

If it says it contains matzah, farfel, matzah meal or cake meal....in any spelling, then it contains wheat and is NOT gluten-free.

If it does not say these words, you are completely safe in assuming it's gluten-free.

It is also gluten-free if it says non-gebrochts or some similar spelling.

Do not assume something is kosher for Passover just because it's on an ethnic foods display. Both stockboys (no gender intended) and customers put things in the wrong places.

The good part of Passover is the clear labeling. But some of the stuff tastes awful, and it's not cheap. So if you are happy with your gf products during the year and do not have to celebrate Passover, don't stock up unless you know you try the product. Do not delay, however, once the Passover products appear on the shelves (they've been out for weeks in my neighborhood), because the good stuff will disappear.

FYI: Gefen noodles and pasta....for Passover, are marked certified gluten-free by one of our organizations. Very attractive, but be aware that they fall apart during cooking unless directions are followed accurately.  If you do NOT need to observe Passover, you are better off with Tinkyada or your other favorite brands.

Passover used to be a God-send, years ago, when we didn't have the breath and diversity of products that we have now all year. But each year I find I buy less and less of the Passover stuff.....and I observe Passover. I find, now, that I just buy what I need. The exception is if I find something I cannot get during the year, like gf blintzes or Meal Mart frozen turkey/chicken nougats, stuff like that. Just my two cents.

Lin