From:
Sarah Bauermeister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 06:59:58 -0500

Hi there everyone

Thanks to everyone that has been writing to me with advice and are still
writing to me with advice.  This week has been a rocky road for me and it
has been really good to get posts of encouragement and sympathy.   Being
intolerant to gluten, wheat, corn, yeast, milk and eggs is proving more
than just a challenge.

My computer has been out of action and my husband had to set it up again
and I lost everything.  Fortunately, I printed off a lot of advice and I
still have that.  If I was corresponding to you, please send me a quick e
mail and let me know your address, there are a few that I remember.  A lady
called Ginger and a lady who was anorexic as well as celiac, please
contact me again, thanks.

I received a lot of recipes but unfortunately, most of them had either
eggs or corn or peanut butter in.  I can not eat peanut butter yet,
someone helpfully pointed out that it could be the yeast in the peanut
butter and the yeast in dried fruit as well that was making me react.
Someone gave me the website of the Paleofood, http://www.paleofood.com,
this was very helpful and I have printed off a lot of recipes from the site.

Others have suggested non corn egg replacers, such as agar agar, which I
will try and get.  Many of you suggested Bette Hagman's books.  I have
bought one and I am waiting for 3 more to arrive!! In the mean time if
anyone comes up with a great cookie or cake type recipe not using any of my
allergy foods, I would really appreciate it.  Has anyone tried baking
something sweet out of cooked rice or tapioca?

I am suffering from a bad dose of gluten today after baking my family
croissants.  I thought I would be fine, I only had to bake them but I
reacted badly to them.I have got a gluten free area in my kitchen but I
think, being this sensitive, I am really going to have to limit the
amount of gluten containing food in the house.  I also tried some GF
cookies with maize in that I thought I would be ok on and I was
breathless all night.  I react by being breathless in 10 minutes,
extreme tiredness, very irritable and then my ears "pop" and I can stay
like that for 8 hours and a couple of days if the culprit was ingested.
Is this typical?  I do not suffer from diarrhoea, I suffer from
constipation and mucous, is this typical also?

Many people have also said that the baby will be fine, it will take all
the nutrients it needs from me.  I think this is definitely true, as
baby is growing by the day and I am shrinking, if my arms get any
thinner, they will look like matchsticks.  I am hiding behind this big
bump somewhere!

Thanks again everyone and if you could send me a quick mail with just hi on
or even the last letter you sent me, that would be great thanks.  (Just to
those who I was actually corresponding with privately, thanks)

Sarah