From:
Mireille Cote <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 19:29:27 -0400

What a great bunch you are.

Many thanks for all the great encouraging words you sent me.

One listmember asked me a very interesting question: <<why don't you try to
assert yourself here and make it easier for the others like you and me to eat
at a fast-food restaurant?  How about changing some of the ingredients and/or
procedures, and then making it known?  Would it be so bad for business?
<<why don't you try to assert yourself here and make it easier for the others
like you and me to eat at a fast-food restaurant?  How about changing some of
the ingredients and/or procedures, and then making it known?  Would it be so
bad for business?>>

Here is response, or at least a part of it.

For the fast food GF question, it is a profitability issue.  Ex.:  In
fastfood, we use a lot of bases, bouillons.  I asked my managers to make a
research to find GF ones.  Here in Canada, the wheat is much more cheaper
than corn.  So, the starch they use in it is wheatstarch most of the time,
and the ones with cornstarch is more expensive, so it would be around
$20,000. more a year, having a big volume of sales.

And so on.  At the Italian one, there is 3 or 4 menus celiacs can eat.  We
cant offer more, because on the busy days, we serve 800 meals and the cooks
dont have time to make special meals.  And there is also the restricted
number of celiacs.  There is only 1 out of 3000 diagnosed celiacs.  And not
all come to the restaurant.

But I have plans, to make a little more for celiacs to eat.  We had a very
big expansion this year, and didnt have time then, but in automn, we should
have a small respite and can have a look at it.

Thank you again,
Mireille.