From:
Robin Hlavacek <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robin Hlavacek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Aug 2002 23:44:16 -0400

I received lots of responses to my question about what exactly
amaranth is, and if it is considered gf. Thanks to everyone who took
the time to answer my questions.

The overwhelming majority of responders said amaranth is gf. It is
actually a grain, and there's a great description of it and its gf
status at the following:
<http://wheat.pw.usda.gov/ggpages/topics/>
This was written by Donald D. Kasarda
U.S. Department of Agriculture
Agricultural Research Service
Western Regional Research Center
Albany, CA 94710

Someone also sent me the following:

 From an article by Elaine Monarch of the Celiac Disease Foundation:

Amaranth, although used as a grain, is more aptly termed a
pseudo-grain.
The prefix pseudo means counterfeit, fake, false. Amaranth is closely

related to pigweed, spinach, beets, and other plants in the goosefoot

family, Chenopodiaceae. It is in a genetic classification of its own
(genus Amaranthus, family Amaranthacea.) Amaranth, the tiny seed of
an
herb, is not a member of the cereal family at all.
Once the major cash crop of the ancient Aztecs, amaranth has been
used
therapeutically for centuries. In today's nutrition-conscious times,
amaranth offers a vast array of nutritional qualities. It has high
levels of calcium and iron as well as many other vitamins, minerals,
and
trace minerals not found in most grains. Not only is amaranth higher
in
protein than most commonly used grains, but, with its high levels of
lysine and methionine, it is better balanced and more complete.
Amaranth
is also high in fiber. Puffed amaranth contains 16% total dietary
fiber.

For anyone who is interested in cooking/baking with amaranth, there
is a good article about it in the current issue of Glutenfreeda. You
can read about it here:
<www.glutenfreeda.com>
There are also some good recipes at the end of the article (the
amaranth granola, BTW, is very tasty!)

I had originally asked the question about amaranth because when at
the health food store I saw something called BlissBars (made by
Govinda). They looked delicious but they all listed amaranth in the
ingredient list. They are delicious, and they are gf. If anyone is
interested, below I've sent along a copy of the letter I received
from Govinda about their products.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Robin

Response from Givinda re BlissBars: