From:
Roy Jamron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 03:24:34 -0800

Here are some useful links that explain the role of the small
intestine lining in digestion, enzyme and hormone production.  These
links have recently opened my eyes.  I have seen comments on the
Celiac List about how enzyme supplements have helped some people with
multiple food intolerances, but now I understand why.  In addition to
enzymes being produced in the small intestine lining, hormones
produced by the small intestine, in turn, signal the pancreas to
produce still more enzymes and digestive juices.  It's no wonder
celiacs have so many problems with so many foods. (Note: Sorry, some
links are "wrapped" on 2 lines due to the 72 char per line limit.)

http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health/digest/pubs/digesyst/newdiges.htm

http://www.onemedhub.com/onemeddoctor/mybody/alimentary_system/
alimentary_small_intestine.html

http://ahealthybody.net/Enzymes.shtml

I have been GF for 20 months after suffering from years of steadily
increasing chronic diarrhea, bowel distress, and general rectal
discomfort including frequent rectal bleeding.  A few months before
going GF, I had surgical repairs for a right and then a left inguinal
hernia.  I am almost certain that bowel distress from Celiac caused
the hernias.  Thanks to sites on the web, I discovered Celiac Disease
and tried going GF.  In only 4 days I saw a dramatic change in stool
properties, having a solid well-formed stool for the first time in
who knows how many years.  I have remained GF ever since then.
However, this was NOT the end of bowel distress.  I experienced many
ups and downs in symptoms.  After 4 months my symptoms noticeably
improved, but still I experienced distress.  After 7 months I began
to experience constipation which subsided after 10 months.  Then, at
11 months, all my previous symptoms began coming back... the chronic
diarrhea, distress, rectal discomfort and bleeding.  It was then I
realized the return of the symptoms coincided with the start of melon
growing season, and I was consuming melons.  Also, the end of the
first 4 months (when my symptoms improved) coincided with the end of
melon growing season.  (I already avoided honeydew melons years ago
because they tended to irritate my throat... but NOT watermelon or
cantaloupe.)  I began research into whether Celiacs commonly had
problems with melons.  I could find nothing specific to Celiac
Disease, but came across the links cited below which revealed that
allergic cross reactions between grass/plant pollens and melons and
other Cucurbitaceae (cucumber, zucchini, squash, pumpkin) were quite
common.  Wheat, of course, is grass, and gluten might very well have
a cross reaction with melon similar to grass pollen.  I immediately
removed all melons, cucumber and zucchini from my diet.  Within 2
days the chronic diarrhea ceased and my symptoms began to improve.
(I do not suffer from hayfever or typical pollen allergies.)  Since
then, I discovered prunes had been causing distressful gas pockets,
and bananas caused a feeling of of bowel restriction/blockage in my
lower central abdomen.  These symptoms also disappeared within 2 days
each after separately eliminating prunes and bananas from my diet.
Bowel distress symptoms greatly improved, but still not completely.
Finally, last month, I concluded corn products made me feel "off"
shortly after their consumption... a general feeling of less than
well, frequent throat clearing and irritation, and bowel distress.  I
eliminated all foods containing corn, corn syrup, corn starch, etc.
The effect of corn elimination was not as immediate or dramatic as
the elimination of the other foods, but more subtle.  Catching a cold
worsened my symptoms, but, finally, in these last few weeks, I am
beginning to feel well and as close to "normal" as I have been in
years.  I am hoping this is not a fluke and the "well-being" will
continue and improve.

My experience points out the need for anybody going GF to be well
aware that you are very likely to have multiple food intolerences and
may also benefit from enzyme supplements until the intestine lining
heals itself.  My advice, you should not spend all your time looking
for "hidden gluten", but pay careful attention to the other foods in
your diet and consider food elimination trials if your symptoms
persist.  If I had done this, maybe it would have taken only 6 months
instead of 20 months for me to begin to feel "normal".

IBS Bulletin Board Discussion on Melons
http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum8/HTML/002682.html

Allergy Combinations Lurk Where You Least Suspect
http://www.texallergy.com/infolib/article1.html

Caballero T, Martin-Esteban M.
Association between pollen hypersensitivity and edible vegetable
allergy: a review.
J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol. 1998 Jan-Feb;8(1):6-16. Review.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?
cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9555613&dopt=Abstract

Garcia Ortiz JC, Cosmes Martin P, Lopez-Asunolo A.
Melon sensitivity shares allergens with Plantago and grass pollens.
Allergy. 1995 Mar;50(3):269-73.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?
cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=7545882&dopt=Abstract

Garcia Ortiz JC, Ventas P, Cosmes P, Lopez-Asunsolo A.
An immunoblotting analysis of cross-reactivity between melon, and
plantago and grass pollens.
J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol. 1996 Nov-Dec;6(6):378-82.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?
cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9015782&dopt=Abstract

Asero R.
Fennel, cucumber, and melon allergy successfully treated with pollen-
specific injection immunotherapy.
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2000 Apr;84(4):460-2.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?
cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10795656&dopt=Abstract

Sander I, Raulf-Heimsoth M, Duser M, Flagge A, Czuppon AB, Baur X.
Differentiation between cosensitization and cross-reactivity in wheat
flour and grass pollen-sensitized subjects.
Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 1997 Apr;112(4):378-85.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?
cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9104794&dopt=Abstract

Related Plant List (VERY USEFUL!!!!!)
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/Food/RelatedPlantList.html

Roy Jamron