Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 22:14:15 -0500

Sorry this summary is so late in coming. I received a number of helpful
emails:

Did you know that when you bake gluten free items that call
for cornstarch, just substitute arrowroot powder 1 for 1.
Same goes for thickening gravies, sauces, etc.
Hope this is helpful. Cheryl in Colorado
There is a group on yahoo that exchanges wheat and corn
free recipes etc. Just go to:
and sign up.
http://www.nowheat.com/cookb/allergyindex.htm
http://www.buckwheatpete.com/
The Allergy Self-Help Cookbook: Over 325 Natural Foods
Recipes Free of All Common Food Allergens: Wheat-Fee,
Milk-Free, Egg-Free, Corn-Free, Sugar-FREE $15.25 at: #9
http://browse.barnesandnoble.com/controller?visgrp=nonfiction&slinkprefix=us
erid%3D0BLVWF81SJ&n=200123&g=200123+200115&srt=salesrank&sid=8CB73D474F00&ac
t=M1

and
http://forums.delphiforums.com/AvoidingCorn/start

try www.kinnikinnick, they have great bagels, donuts, bread and such

In my experience, use the GFCF list and check for
corn. Miss Roben's sells a lot of mixes that are GFCF and corn-free.

I have been on a gluten-dairy-corn-soy-egg free diet for almost 2 years.
"The Allergy Self-Help Cookbook" (revised 2001 edition) by Marjorie Hurt
Jones is an indispensible first cookbook, as it has 350 recipes free of
corn, egg, gluten, milk, sugar, soy, yeast.
After that, I recommend that you start collecting a variety of cookbooks:
Mollie Katzen, Thai, Indian and "alternative" whole food cookbooks that use
alternative grains. We have accumulated about 30 cookbooks that each have a
few recipes I can eat. We have a computer file that lists the recipe names
/ cookbook / page number as a way to keep track of where the recipes are.

One more suggestion: the best baked good cook book is "Special Diet
Solutions" by Carol Fenster. Most of the recipes are gluten free and diary
free, and there are egg free and yeast free options for most recipes as well.

gfcfdiet.com, plus anything else you can find for gfcf autistic kids. I
really like Special Diets for Special Kids, which is an autistic cookbook.
It doesn't have much corn in it, and if it does she usually suggests a
substitution.

"Allergy Cooking with Ease: The No Wheat, Milk, Egg, Corn, Soy, Yeast,
Sugar, Grain, and Gluten Cookbook" by Nicolette M. Dumke
"Special Diet Solutions" by Carol Fenster, PhD She has several. This
has several recipes with gluten and or other things, but is helpful.
Both have good sections on subsitutions.
from a past post.
Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD)/ "Breaking the Viscious Cycle"
All of the recipes on these pages are "SCD safe". This means that they
=
do not
contain milk, flour, or any other food item which is not allowed in =
the Specific
Carbohydrate Diet.
http://www.scdiet.org/2recipes/default.html
Do a search for paleodiet. That is a no grain and some other things.

A new book called Dangerous Grains written by Dr. James Braly and Ron Hoggan.

put in a search for no-corn, I think there is a support list for people who
are allergic to corn. I am too and I just read labels.

Here are a couple of sites:
http://allergies.about.com/library/weekly/aa053199.htm
http://allergies.about.com/cs/corn/

Thanks for all the responses -- I'm still struggling, mainly because I've
been so busy with work but I plan to check on these resources and see what
else I can find.

Esha