From:
sandybill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 08:41:01 -0800

I hadn't planned to keep writing still more about this topic, but there
does seem to be lot of interest on this list and the replies continued to
come in and ask me to let them know what I learned, and I kept learning
more. I began by asking questions, with an open mind and a healthy amount
of skepticism (thank you Mr. Descartes :) This is my general method of
learning about a subject, though the questions in this case did seem to
ruffle (even pluck) some feathers. Of course some won't write till they're
mad, which they did seem to get :)

I must admit that as I learned more Dr. Fine's methods and tests I gained
more confidence in his expertise and usefulness. Perhaps that means more
coming from a skeptic than from a believer. (or not :)

Anyway, I did learn a lot about this topic:

1. Yes, he does distinguish between the terms "gluten sensitivity" and CD
which I had not encountered in the literature before; however, some other
experts on CD do also, and he does cite peer reviewed studies to support
this. What he means by this distinction is that gluten sensitivity is the
stage before there is enough damage to the gut to cause measurable
malabsorption. In short, if you are gluten sensitive and continue to eat
gluten you will end up with full blown CD and intestinal damage. That seems
to be an entirely reasonable stance to me at this point.

2. There was some question in my mind and from others as to why he hasn't
done reliable studies in order to demonstrate that this is a believable
method of testing so he could share it with other docs: a. he has told some
that there are other labs that use methods similar to his; and b. he has
been working to gain a patent on the process, which I have been told he now
has.

3. I began by asking if anyone had been tested by him and told they did
not have either gluten sensitivity or CD. It was only after two posts
that I began to receive replies saying they did. At this point, three
people have replied that someone in their family tested negative for
both gluten sensitivity and CD. Considering that most people are
probably convinced they have celiac before they contact him, this seem
to be a reasonable number of people. Perhaps even higher than I'd
expected anyway. On the other hand, miny miny people "testified" about
their experiences with other docs who wouldn't listen and didn't know
how to test, and etc etc -- we're all familiar with these kinds of
stories, and it may understandable why some feel so strongly about
someone whom they feel cares, listens, explains, and helps them in many
ways. Also, two of the three who had tested negative were told by Dr
Fine that they did have other sensitivities, and were also helped by
him, and healthy now.

4. Several respected celiac doctors seem to respect his work and accept the
results of his tests without question. When they see, from Dr. Fine, the
term "gluten sensitivity" in the patient's records, some say: Oh, you're
celiac. Among those named were: Cynthia Rudert (twice), Lyman Bilhartz, and
Jeffrey Weinstein (as well as other docs at Baylor where Fine once worked,
twice).

5. Miny miny wrote to tell me how they had been treated badly by other
docs, especially gastro docs and had continued to stay sick or get sicker,
some near death. And several were of course having the same problems with
trying to get their children diagnosed. But they were tested by Dr. Fine
and are healthy etc: most of us are familiar with this kind of treatment
(or nontreatment).

Strictly personal response:

It does seem to me that given the choice between taking a GI doc I didn't
know in terms of reputation for celiac expertise (a pig in a poke, so to
speak) or Dr Fine, it would be a no brainer. Personally I'd choose the latter.

Most who supported Fine sent me temperate objective and helpful reports,
but a handful seemed rabidly evangelical about the topic and seemed to
interpret any questions as personal attacks on the Dr -- that's not Dr
Fine's fault of course. But perhaps this handful should know that they do
not improve his image in most people's minds. It gives the appearance of
proselytizing, which professionals try to avoid, and several people said in
their replies that this attitude made them suspicious and skeptical. I
might say this is also what initiated my desire to ask questions. And to
A---- who was so hysterical and nasty and ad hominem: Phhhhffffttbb :)

-vance

I've noticed that on most brands of Christmas lights it says: "For indoor
or outdoor use only."