From:
Michael Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 May 1998 02:20:08 GMT

> Am I to understand correctly that rice has gluten in it?

Before too many people get upset, allow me to make a comment that rice
is safe for the GF diet.

The term gluten as used by a chemist and what is toxic to celiacs are
often not in agreement.  Damage is done to a celiac by the protein
found in these primary grains:  wheat, rye, oats, and barley.

Oats are a unique item, in that there are some studies that indicate it
may not be harmful to celiacs.  I am not addressing that issue at this
time.

Some people use the term gluten in a different manner in talking about
grains.  For years this reference was to corn. Last year, tapioca was
used in references as being a source of gluten.  Now this poster has
found a reference to gluten in rice.

Rice, corn, and tapioca are safe for celiacs, unless they have a non
celiac related problem to those ingredients.

For additional information on grains in general, please request the
reference file, GRAINS, from the Listserve or visit our WWW site.
Please do not request a copy from this address.

--
Michael Jones ([log in to unmask]) Orlando, FL USA
One of the Celiac & Cel-Kids Listowners