From:
Sue Dodick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sue Dodick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 2009 12:32:04 -0400

Thank you to all who responded.  Everyone said that they had no problem
with the recipe secrets onion soup mix even those who are very sensitive.
Some cautioned to READ the label because some flavors of the recipe secrets
soup mixes are NOT gluten free.  There is also a kosher version of the onion
soup mix that is NOT gluten free.

I am including some comments about other brands to use:

I get my powdered soups from www.mayacamasfinefoods.com.  Their French
onion soup is quite tasty, and the recipe on the back of the tomato soup for
spicy tomato soup is a backpacking favorite.  They also have several other gf
sauce mixes that are very good.

Giant Eagle house brand is GF

I do not trust any packaged mix for anything.  I solve my craving for onion
soup by using freeze dried onion flakes from my local health food store.
They make a nice dip with sour cream, there are soup variations, you can add
them to hamburger or mashed potatoes.  Onion flakes can also be found in
Vietnamese and other asian markets.

at Passover, there is a Jewish brand, Osem, that makes a great gf onion soup
mix.  It is only labeled gf at this time of the year.  i always stock up then.

If you want a brand marked GF check out Glutino. Meanwhile, take a look at
Mayacamas for a lot of great variety and a GF statement. We use that brand
as well, but they do not make onion soup mix. Mayacamas has a lot of
interesting sauce mixes.