From:
MJ Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MJ Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:21:06 -0500

The original question: A woman who is a noted "chef, writer and educator"
informed me yesterday that most soy sauces are gluten free.  She said they
are wheat-based but the wheat is fermented and there are no glutens left
behind.  She is a natural foods consultant and chef for a grocery chain in
the Northeast.  I think she's wrong but does anyone have an authoritative
source I could refer her to?

I heard from 25 people - the majority believe she is wrong.  Approximately
8 people have had problems when using wheat-based soy sauce.  One person
has problems with soy sauce as well as vinegars and alcohol.  One person
used Kikkoman and has no problems.  One person said San-J tests on a
haphazard basis.  No one had an authoritative source to refer to.

I found some interesting things on the internet and will list URLs below:

http://ift.confex.com/ift/2005/techprogram/paper_29292.htm

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-3/Soy-Sauce.html

http://www.san-j.com/pages/brewing.htm

http://www.ecomcanada.com/soysauce.html

I also received an interesting statement from Kikkoman;  unfortunately
it's a PDF file, I cannot extract the text and attachments aren't allowed
on the list for good reason.  If anyone would like me to see the statement
please let me know off-list and I'll send it along.

I continue to think the woman I spoke to is wrong and will stick with
wheat-free products.  We use the wheat-free low sodium San-J Tamari sauce;
it seems to work for me.

MJ

--
 MJ Thomas
 In the beautiful Finger Lakes Wine Country of New York State!