From:
Sonia_Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 15:11:10 +0100

Hi!!!

This is my first posting to the list!!! I am a celiac since I was a baby
so I might say I am used to it. My family say it was a nightmare before
I was diagnosed; fortunately I do not have memories of those bad
moments.

I travel a lot and I had been living at several countries and CD is an
unknown disease for non-celiacs. But it is possible have a normal
life!!! We have to instruct people, we have to ask. I do not stop
asking; I know almost the kitchens/cockers of restaurants and hotels
that I had been in!!!

Sometimes is difficult at a restaurant, at a friends' house, at the
pharmacy. well, I always carry my kit: "survival-snack" and medication
for urgencies!!!

I would like to give an advise to the parents, family and friends of
celiac children: Eat/drink everything (I mean products with or without
gluten) in front of them, because when the children go out they are used
to the difference and like that the difference is something normal. And
make sure the children understand what they are able to eat or not, and
the consequences of each act; let the children do the questions at the
restaurants; let the children say no to a candy when someone offer it.
It was the philosophy of my parents & family and I guarantee it was and
is the best.

I just arrived to Denmark, near Copenhagen, at the supermarket I found
flour without gluten, it is something unusual at other European
countries!!! I would like to know the addresses of stores selling
products free of gluten, restaurants and advices to accept or deny real
national Danish products (that I do not know yet!!!). At the moment I do
not need a doctor, but if you could advice me at least one I would be
glad.Thanks in advance!!!

I have been learning a lot with your participation!!! Thanks a lot to
all of you.

Sonia