From:
Andrea Otken-Dennis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:44:10 -0400

I had many many responses on this..

Thanks to all who responded..and please, if you still want to respond,
please do so. I can always summarize again.

I was trying to make Bette Hagman's Mock Graham crackers. I've made them
before, but I made them for a cheesecake crust and it didn't matter
their consistency..plus my 11 month old was only 3 months at the time
and obviously wasn't eating any of it (except through breastmilk). I
substituted sugar, straight for the honey. They turned out VERY hard and
dry..They actually make pretty good teething biscuits, except for the
cinnamon flavor..but still. He has to really gnaw on them to get
anything out of it. I doubt that I will be making any more before his
birthday (less than 3 weeks away), but seeing that he's already had some
in some cereal he's eaten, I'm not terribly concerned about it anymore.
This has all been excellent information to have and I'm grateful to
everyone who responded!

Several people suggested maple syrup in a 1:1 ratio
Some suggested maple syrup, but in a lesser amount
Some suggested making a solution of sugar and water by boiling it to
make sure the sugar was dissolved.

Several suggested stevia powder
Several suggested Lundberg's rice syrup (Gluten Free) or Westbrae
Natural Brown Rice Syrup (also GF)
Also suggested

                date sugar
                fructose
                brown sugar
                turbinado sugar
                agave nectar (slightly thinner than honey)
                molasses
                sorghum syrup
                Karo syrup
                cane syrup

Other pieces of information
A lot of people replace honey, maple syrup etc with brown rice syrup.
Honey is not recommended for children under age 1, not age 2 (I was
wrong!).

Cooked honey should be safe for babies, it's raw honey that's the
problem (my research seemed to confirm this as well.)

Recipe for this here:
Take 1 cup water and boil.  While boiling, you can stir in (and
dissolve) 2 cups of sugar fairly easily.

Most store bought honey is pasteurized, which would kill any botulism
spores.

Karo syrup can be substituted for honey, and honey can be substituted
for Kary syrup.

Anything made with brown rice flour is grainy in texture.