From:
Beth Armour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Beth Armour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Aug 2009 08:18:09 -0400

BlankThank you to all how responded to my post on August 13th concerning GF
symbols and do we really need more than one.
I had 18 responses including 2 from leaders of two of the US GF certifying
groups. While all agreed that it is would be good to have one symbol several
pointed out that seeing “made in a dedicated facility” is more important for
them. Several mentioned the importance of the simplicity of the symbol for
easy recognition, especially by those with low literacy, including children.
Most agreed that duplication of services from the support / awareness groups
is not in the best interest of their members. One even used the expression
“United We Stand, Divided We Fall” to summarize her concern with
duplication.

One person suggested that since organizations get revenue from certification
we have no hope in ever getting one symbol.

One of several support group leaders who responded indicated that they are
an independent support group and members join the GF / CD support
organization of their choice as each has their strengths in the information
they provide.

Only one manufacturer responded in agreement concerning the costs to
industry for multiple certifications and the right to use the various
organizations symbols.

There were several suggestions for follow-up of this post. One person
suggested writing to the US FDA with a copy to all certifying groups asking
for the government to mandate a common US GF symbol with a common ppm level
definition for the symbol. Another person suggested there be a public
invitation to all of the certifying groups to attend a public forum on the
topic. Both interesting suggestions.

Beth Armour,
Co-President
Cream Hill Estates Ltd.