From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 1997 08:26:40 -0700

I have contacted Revenue Canada.  Three years ago, I was able to claim the
disability tax for my son for 1 year after he was diagnosed.  A special form
was filled in by the doctor, submitted with my tax return and was allowed.
The following year I got a letter from them stating that it would no longer
be allowed as they were clamping down on medical disabilities and his didn't
fit in.  In checking online at
http://www.revcan.ca/E/pub/tg/96163et/96163e.txt.html you can read about the
disability tax credit we are not allowed and decipher the reasoning.

When I questioned what was available as our "cure" was to follow a very
expensive diet and there was no medication available.  I was informed to
keep all my reciepts and claim the amount above the cost of a regular item.
Ie bread is $.99/loaf for my wheat-eaters and $4.50/loaf for my son and
myself.  I would be able to claim the $3.51/loaf.  When I asked about brands
of regular food items, ie I used to buy generic kidney beans for chili,
soups for making sauces, sliced meats, hotdogs, etc. now I have to buy the
more expensive brands or try and make my own (many failures occurring at
first).  These changes were not by choice but by dietary limitations and  I
was informed "too bad cause they are normal everyday items". These medical
expenses are then reduced by a percentage of your taxable income so you have
to have a ton of receipts to make it worth while and of course depends on
your income.

I also asked about the cost of my mixer.  I would never have bought the
super-duper Kitchen-aid mixer had it not been for making my own bread, I
would have been able to buy a much smaller, less expensive Kitchen-aid and
again "too bad".

If anyone else has had luck with Revenue Canada on this front let me know.

To find a Revenue Canada phone number visit this site

http://www.revcan.ca/menu/EmenuDBB.html

Karen Bulmer
St. Albert, AB, Canada