From:
Anne Bomba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 12:37:44 -0500

Please help, we need your assistance!

        We've read with great interest the recent discussions about experiences
with registered dietitians.  We teach at a university which has a Dietetics
Program and most of these students will become registered dietitians.  One
of us has celiac and one is a registered dietitian, and we are both very
interested in the apparent lack of knowledge dietitians may have about
celiac.  Clearly, there is a need for research and education in this area.
Thus, we are conducting the following survey.  We will summarize the
findings to the List and publish the results in a professional journal
(i.e., Journal of the American Dietetic Association, American Journal of
Clinical Nutrition, or Nutrition Research) so dietitians can be educated on
this topic.  To ensure confidentiality, your name and address will be
deleted immediately from your response.  Thank you for your participation.

Anne Bomba, PhD, [log in to unmask] and Diane Tidwell, PhD, RD,

**** Please respond to [log in to unmask] and not the List. *****

1.  Method of celiac diagnosis:
        Biopsy        _____
        Blood Tests   _____
        Self          _____

2.  How old were you, or your child, when diagnosed with celiac?

3.  Time since diagnosis:
        Less than one year _____
        1-2 years          _____
        3-5 years          _____
        6-10               _____
        11-20 years        _____
        More than 20 years _____

4.  Age and sex are asked for general classification purposes only
        What is the age of person with celiac?  ______
        Sex of person with celiac: Male  _____           Female  _____

5.  When you, or your child, were diagnosed with celiac, were you referred
to a registered dietitian?
        Yes                 No

If yes, please answer questions 6-14, if no please skip to question 15.

6.  Did the dietitian seem knowledgeable about celiac?
        Yes                 No

7.  How helpful was the dietitian?
        Extremely helpful
        Somewhat helpful
        Neither helpful nor unhelpful
        Somewhat not helpful
        Extremely not helpful

8.  Were you given a handout on the gluten free diet?
        Yes                 No

        If yes, was it accurate?
                Yes                 No

9.  Were you provided with a list of foods that you could not eat?
        Yes                 No

10.  Were you provided with a list of foods that you could eat?
        Yes                 No

11.  If you asked the dietitian questions, was she/he able to answer them?
        Yes                 No

12.  Did the dietitian ask if you had any questions or concerns?

13.  Did the dietitian seem to understand the seriousness of your condition
and the importance of following a gluten-free diet?
        Yes                 No

14.  Were you given a follow-up appointment or did the dietitian give you
her/his number and tell you that you could contact them if you had any
problems with the diet or questions about the diet?
        Yes                 No

15.  For those who were not referred to a dietitian when diagnosed with
celiac, have you ever talked to a registered dietitian about celiac?
        Yes                 No

If yes, how helpful was she/he?
        Extremely helpful
        Somewhat helpful
        Neither helpful nor unhelpful
        Somewhat not helpful
        Extremely not helpful

FOR ALL RESPONDENTS PLEASE ANSWER THE REMAINING QUESTIONS:

16.  If you were ever hospitalized:
        Did a dietitian visit you? Yes                 No
        Did a dietitian discuss food likes and dislikes?  Yes        No
        Were you ever given a food tray that had inappropriate foods on it?
              Yes                 No
        If yes, please explain.

17.  What is the most important information that a dietitian should know
when consulting with a patient who has celiac?

18.   Overall, what do you think dietitians should know about celiac and
living with celiac disease?  Be as specific as possible and write as much
as you want.

***Again, please respond to [log in to unmask] and not the List.  Thank you!***