From:
Joan K. Davitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 20:17:09 -0400

Dear list members,

I am scheduled to have a biopsy done next tuesday (4/25). My blood tests
were inconclusive for CD (However I am not sure that the tests were
conducted properly .) Anyway given my inconclusive serology, information
from the archives of this list seemed to suggest that I should have an
enteroscopy rather than the simple endoscopy. I am still trying to convince
my doctor of this. I sent him the report form the archives and an e-mail
from another physician. However, I have not been able to find any research
on whether one test is better in this type of situation. The doctor has
indicated that he will take twelve samples from different areas of the
duodenum using a large scope. He indicated that he thinks this is better
because with a large scope he can take a larger biopsy sample which is more
likely to show damage if damage has occurred. I have three questions for
the list: 1) Does anyone know of any research on this, that has been
published and can you provide a citation? 2) Does the explanation sound
reasonable/recommended or should I push for the enteroscopy? 3) Can anyone
explain the lymphocyte issue in relation to the biopsy results? Thanks for
all your help.
joan
ardmore, PA