From:
Michele Rice <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 08:16:40 -0700

Hello,

I had been looking for this recipe for several months, but didn't find
it until this week when my son needed to take an authentic Spanish dish
to class. It is a classic cake sold in the markets of Santiago, Spain,
and called the Cross of St. James torte

http://www.tienda.com/recipes/tarta.html

or another version

http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-archive/39/208954.shtml

both of these recipes have topping different from the original. The
classic cake is simply topped with a dusting of powdered sugar over a
cut out stencil of the cross of St. James. I have seen these in
bakeries with more modern stencils. Obviously, any type of holiday
stencil could be used.

Several months ago someone posted about Almondy, a Scandinavian company
that sells its almond cakes to Ikea cafes. After looking at the Almondy
web site, I thought I had recognized the flavor of that cake as
something I had eaten in a Hungarian restaurant quite a few years ago.
That is when I began my recipe search, since we do not have an Ikea
near us.  This cake replicates that unique taste. It is delicious -- as
you can tell since I have remembered that taste for over 20 years!

Happy Holidays!

Michele