From:
Kevin & Pat Little <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 21:54:36 -0400

Hi to all,

Thanks to all that responded....I know it's been mentioned MANY times
before, but this list is wonderful!!!!  I asked you....

<I have heard that some who are dairy/milk
intolerant/sensitive can sometimes eat mozzarella cheese, pure butter,
ghee, and yogurt.  I would like to hear from those that don't tolerate
milk, but have been able to add some other dairy products back into
their diet without a problem.  Exactly how much can you
tolerate.......and how often can you consume it without a problem?  And
which dairy products, besides milk, can you tolerate now (ice-cream has
milk in it)?  Is this something that you had to avoid initially and then
able to tolerate unlimited amounts after a period of time....if yes, how
much time?  What symptoms do you get now, if you eat too much of the
dairy (not including milk)?>

....and here is what you told me.

WORST PROBLEMS....

1.  Milk, ice-cream, and yogurt
2.  Real gf ice-cream, high fat cheese and whole milk...really feel it
    with the high fat cheeses
3.  Mozzarella has lots of lactose and therefore it's a problem...dairy
    is especially a problem when stress is added.
4.  Milk and yogurt
5.  Milk even with lactaid
6.  Milk chocolate...even just 1 candy
7.  Milk...even small amounts
8.  Ice-cream, straight milk, and cream desserts
9.  Milk
10. Milk and icecream....since infancy
11. Milk
12. Milk and ice-cream

LEAST BOTHERED BY....

1.  Butter, pure cream, and certain fatty cheeses, parmesan cheese...all
    in small amounts
2.  No problem with daily plain non-fat yogurt, butter, cheese, and
    occasionally skim milk in cereals
3.  Small amounts hard cheddar cheese and dairy with lowest lactose
4.  Hard cheeses, butter, cream and half and half
5.  Lowfat goat milk and sheep cheese, slice of mozzarella, muenster, or
    swiss, butter even ice-cream if homemade...no more than 1/2 cup and
    eaten with lactaid
6.  Lactose is my problem and therefore I tolerate cream, cream cheese,
    some yogurt and hard aged cheeses
7.  Butter...about 1 tsp.
8.  Frozen vanilla yogurt
9.  No longer refrains and eats small amount of cream or half and half,
    butter, yogurt, and most cheeses... especially hard cheeses, and goat
    cheese even the soft kind is fine
10. 3 yrs. gf/df and only tolerate plain (no sugar) Kefir...because it
    contains no lactose
11. Little butter with lactaid with small problems and prescription meds
    taken with lactaid
12. One serve a day if it's cheese (hard cheeses are best), milk in
    baked goods is okay (like in cakes etc.)
13. 8 oz yogurt, small amounts of cheddar or mozzarella (about 1
    oz)...think my problem is lactose not casein
14. Small amounts of most cheeses, yogurts, ice creams
15. Cheese in small amounts and haven't noticed a problem with butter
16. Cream and gf milk products like cheese and cream cheese, and small
    amounts of gf ice-cream
17. Cream, high fat yogurt and other high fat dairy foods....not to much
    daily and do a few df days in a row once in a while
18. Butter...eaten lightly, ghee in small amounts
19. Aged hard cheese like cheddar and swiss, butte, ghee, and yogurt

SYMPTOMS FROM DAIRY......

1.  Lots of coughing and mucus in throat, diarrhea in eat lots
2.  Stomach upset, wheezing, choking sensation, reflux, and skin
    bfeakouts...takes about 10 to 24 hours
3.  Gas, cramping, and diarrhea
4.  Same as I get with gluten ingestion
5.  Diarrhea and cramping
6.  Painful bloating and gas even with lactaid tablets ...been df for 3
    months...without lactaid....get awful diarrhea
7.  Gut reactions, but also migraines
8.  Bloated and gassy
9.  GI upset within 30 minutes, to much cheese and foot swells up and
    bakers cyst behind my knee also flares
10. Confusion and constipation
11. Same as with milk, but symptoms aren't as bad
12. Increase in urinary frequency, gas, cramps, and diarrhea

My take on all of the above is that milk is the biggest problem.  Most
say that high fat dairy is tolerated best....go slow with small amounts
and see how "my" body handles it.  Butter, ghee, yogurt, and several of
the cheeses appear to be the most tolerated.  Perhaps occasional milk in
gf baked products will also be okay someday....need to check it out for
"my" body.  I hope the above information is of help to some of you

Fondly, Pat in USA