Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 19:40:45 -0500

Go to www.alamoceliac.org <http://www.alamoceliac.org> and click on
Defensive Dining. Then over to the right you will see a button for different
areas of Austin. After looking at those, look to the right and click on
"Eating in Austin".

Check out our WEB site http://www.popartsplace.com/Celiac (yes the "C" in
Celiac must be in caps). This is a list of places here in Austin where our
members have had good dining experiences.

I would highly recommend WildWood Art Cafe (Bee Caves Rd. just west of
downtown). They are a Wheat Free restaurant and bakery. It is difficult to
find, so call ahead first. http://www.wildwoodartcare.com 1-800-420-4207

Whole Foods' new (and enormous) flagship store is on the western edge of
downtown Austin (6th at N. Lamar), and they have the GF bakehouse goods.

Carrabbas is an excellent restaurant & has a GF menu in each restaurant -
ask for the manager if your waiter is the least bit vague.

Pappasitos - mexican food & grilled things - does not have a gluten free
menu - but ask for a manager - you can take your own chips or ask for the
baked ones. GF is the cheese dip, the salsa, I get the grilled chicken &
grilled shrimp with the grilled pineapple - I ask for no grill base on the
chicken. The butter with pineapple for dipping the tortillas is yummy. We
get the corn tortillas with this, also you can get other things made with
the corn tortillas, the rice & the charro beans (fresh pintos) are GF. I
would steer clear of the beef gravy on enchiladas. we got nachos made with
cheese only on the baked chips.

Taco cabana has a GF menu on line.

Cracker Barrel does not have a GF menu - I have one from my group - but my
dil has it - you can have the fried apples (apples in a cinnamon sauce),
pinto beans, fried potatoes (good), mashed potaotes with NO gravy, corn, and
most of the other veggies, the ham - sorry my memory fails me - but you
cannot get the potato casserole or any of the other veggie casseroles. They
also have baked potatoes. Cole Slaw is not on the list - but I ate it with
no problems... If you want it maybe you could ask to see the contents of the
dressing.

Z Tejas restaurant has a gluten free menu...just ask for it when you go in.
Becomes sort of a party place at night so would recommend lunch or an early
dinner.

The Clay Pit (an Indian restaurant near downtown) is also familiar with the
GF diet and most of their dishes are GF.
======

We have been to the Wildwood Cafe and I was apprehensive at first. They
serve foods with spelt and oats there. However, they advised me that they
get their food ELISA tested and it hasn't had gluten in it. I was very
pleased with the food, the coffee and the wonderful desserts there.

We also tried Z Tejas twice. The first time, we went to the one near the
arboretum. I had to request that they not dip the corn tortillas in oil
before making our food. Otherwise, they would have and the entire meal would
have been cross-contaminated. My meal had a problem and it was sent back.
Many apologies from the wait staff. The children's meals were very small and
expensive. The next time, we went to a Z Tejas near downtown. The atmosphere
was different and the waiter did not seem to care or *get* much about the gf
menu. I don't think we will go back.

We ate at Carabbas and that was fine. We also ate at a Thai restaurant
downtown and it was wonderful.

--
Susie