From:
k.phelps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 19:13:57 -0500

Thank you to everyone with all of the great information and advice.
Evidently this is a topic that many people were interested in as they
requested a summary for their own children or grand children. I greatly
appreciate all of the research that I received to share with the dentist
and the GI . Thank you to everyone!!! The responses appear below:

Dental enamel defects similar to those previously seen in both children
and adults with celiac sprue (Aine, 1989; Aine,1990) have been shown to
be present in adults and children with DH (Aine, 1991; Aine,1992).
     Celiac-type enamel defects are found on 'matched' teeth on both sides
of the mouth (that is, they are symmetrical) and they appear in the same
location on the tooth surface, showing that they occurred at same time.

University of Southern California Dental school does Celiac Desease
diagnostic work by examining childrens teeth. Check the USC dental webb
page for information.

"There is one report that describes dental enamel defects as occurring
in up to 83% of patients with celiac disease. These defects range in
severity from mild to severe and destructive.

While you doctor is reluctant to do more tests, he might be willing to
draw blood for the incidence study at U/Maryland.  They do the newest
tests w/ experienced techs running them.  Cost is free, you pay to draw
blood & ship sample.  Find out more at www.celiaccenter.org

Medical texts do mention that some people are actually overweight with
Celiac. Perhaps your daughter could at least submit a random stool sample to
check for steatorrhea (fat in the stool) - this is how we found my son's
malabsorption problem. oh yes, also, see www.greatplainslaboratory.com re
the fact that some people have low IgA and therefore get a false negative on
the test for Celiac.

My nephew also is extremely tall for his age and has been since infancy.
Dr. was reluctant to test for CD due to this even though my sister (the
mom) has CD.  Turns out that Chad does indeed have CD and has been GF
since age 2.

The most common cause of your daughter's tooth problem is the
antibiotic, tetracycline, given during the early years of her life.
However, it usually causes stunted bone growth as well.  I'm not sure
about CD, but it is possible.

Patients with symmetrical enamel hypoplasia in permanent teeth should be
advised to seek serologic screening using sensitive and/or invasive
tests for evidence of small bowel mucous villous atrophy.

My daughter, 17, had missing/malformed enamel on 4 molars; my son, 15,
has blotchy-yellow discolored top front teeth.  Both of them tested
negative on blood tests.  They do not have any symptoms of CD.

Teeth are formed when the baby is in the womb, although obviously you
don't see them at birth.  Your daughter's teeth may simply reflect your
CD.

Krista