Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 10:12:28 +0000

I wanted to jump in here because a comment was made regarding Kraft, and
an implication that they would not provide GF product lists because
people insist it be 100% GF.

* I'd like to point out that Kraft Canada does provide such a list. The
Kraft America office said the reason is because Canada has different
standards for GF status.

* The reasons Kraft America sighted for not providing a GF product list
are:
1. They change their ingredients often. (Perhaps based on cost of
   ingredients?)
2. They have many different production vendors who may, for instance,
   use glutenous grains on their production belts, or not have dedicated
   lines.
3. Kraft America does not want to state a product is gluten free,
   without being able to 100% gurantee it.
4. They intend on providing one in the future, but no sooner than a few
   years away.

Although it seems like a cop out, I also have to give them credit for
saying they can not guarantee 100% GF status of their products. Better
they be up front about potential questionability of gluten presence,
than produce a list that is inaccurate. They are legally liable for
misinformation they distribute. As a result, Kraft loses the business of
people who need accurate product information.

One last thought about the acceptable percentage of gluten thread----- I
think it is misleading to speculate acceptable percentages of gluten
consumption in relation to cancerous results. It's like playing cancer
roulette- I'd rather shoot for 100% GF, and hope for the best.

Fran