Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 18:39:42 -0500

Last week, my husband and I ate dinner at the Carrabba's Restaurant in Bowie, Maryland.  I don't usually even try Italian Restaurants because I have always been afraid of cross contamination, but my husband really wanted to go to this one.

I emailed the company ahead of time and they emailed back saying that I could choose something from the Grill Specialties except the last one on the menu, Spiedino di Mare, which has breading.  They told me to ask not to have the Grill Base put on.  They also suggested in the email that I call ahead and talk to one of the Chefs to arrange for my meal.  I called ahead and talked to Chef Hub.  We discussed Celiac disease, Gluten Free meals and cross contamination, and he recommended the salmon baked on top of red pepper strips, zucchini and I think some eggplant also.  It was delicious.  They made a salad for me in a separate bowl so that there was no contamination with the croutons.  He even suggested that I could have Crème Brule for dessert and that wasn't on the menu.  It was also delicious.  He came out to our table and served our meal to us and came back several times to make sure everything was to our liking.  When I explained my diet to Michelle our waitress she was more than understanding and very interested in learning more about Celiac.  The restaurant is conducive to seeing where the cooks are working and that made me feel like I could be assured of a good meal also.

If you live in the area and want to go to the Carrabba's Restaurant on highway 301 in Bowie, call ahead and talk to Chef Hub as he is very attentive to our needs.  I left him with a Celiac Disease pamphlet and we left Michelle with a extra good tip for taking such good care of us.

Marie in MD