From:
Agnes Wakefield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 May 1999 14:27:40 -0700

Here's a summary of the suggestions I got for stir fry seasoning. In
general, the ideas fell into four main categories: (1) some combination
of garlic, ginger, and sesame oil, (2) other Asian sauces or
seasonings, (3) bouillon, and (4) gluten-free soy sauces.

I've gone ahead and pasted in everyone's suggestions. I'm sorry if it's
a little long, but there was enough interest in the results that I want
to make sure everyone who is interested gets to hear what others had to
say.

Thanks again. I'll definitely be trying out some of these ideas in the
near future.

Agnes in Wisconsin, USA

===================
The chinese place on campus just stir fries their vegetables in garlic,
a little salt, and oil. They taste really good!
===================
San-J makes a wheat free soy sauce make sure it is the gold label..not
silver
===================
I use generous garlic, some ginger and tell myself it is OK
===================
Try cooking the veges in a little water mixed with chicken stock. The
meat can be cooked in this too making it quite moist. Put in lots of
ginger and garlic for taste too. Also, you could try Hoisin sauce,
check the label though. I find this adds quite a nice flavour.
===================
LaChoy makes a Lite Soy Sauce which has NO wheat in it. I use it with
joy.
===================
Do Herb Ox bouillion cubes have soy in them? I know that they are gf
since I called the company. I have made a sauce with cornstarch, water
and whatever cube seemed to go with the meat I was stir-frying, it
tasted pretty good.
===================
sometimes I just use a lot of garlic and onions. also a little tomato
sauce or soup base tastes good. I posted on the list about Thai
kitchen.
===================
My mother-in-law always used chicken broth. I've tried it a couple of
times, but I also added soy. Maybe you could add some other seasonings
like Herb-ox's beef bouillon.
===================
Have you tried fish sauce? It is very high smelling, and a very little
bit goes a long way, but it is indispensable for Thai food. BTW, trust
me on this, it is added as a condiment AFTER cooking not during...
unless of course you like your house to smell like a fish cannery.
:-)))))))))) Other condiments and cooking sauces are: Hoisun Sauce -
adds a sweet flavor to cooking; Worcestershire sauce - a bit of sweet
and spicy flavor (very Japanese although their sauce is quite thick);
also, you can get peanut oil, sesame oil, and oils flavored with ginger
etc, for stir frying. All of these items are great for adding a
distinctive flavor to stir frys. Somehow, as I browse my Thai,
Japanese, and Chinese cookbooks, I get the feeling that using soy sauce
on everything stir fried is the American Epicurean equivalent to
dumping catsup on everything else. (very big grin)
===================
Frontier Herbs makes a very delicious oriental seasoning that helps
curb the taste for soy sauce. I have a soy allergy and this makes stir
fry good again :)
www.frontierherb.com
www.frontiercoop.com/spices/inspice.html - gives the ingredients of the
oriental seasoning. You can order online a catalog or the products.
===================
I have never tried it but I have read that you can make boullion extra,
extra strong and use it as soy sauce. You use several cubes and just a
half cup of water. I am sorry that I do not remember how many but I
think that it was six to eight cubes.
===================
Soy Sauce contains wheat, so that might be your problem. La Choy sauce
is GF and you might try that on your vegetable stir fry. Sometimes I
use Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb and that taste great or any of Mrs.
Dash's seasonings.
===================
I use hot oil, sesame oil, garlic oil...
===================
Try just a little bit of sesame oil at the very end, just before you
dish up your stirfry. The flavor is strong, so you don't need much (and
it is only a seasoning oil--you can't use it as the stirfry oil--use
whatever you're used to, peanut or olive oil or whatever). The first
time I used a touch of sesame oil, I thought, so *that's* the Chinese
restaurant flavor I've been missing! It is gluten-free, dairy-free and
soy-free, as it is just the oil from the sesame seed. The light oils
are made from untoasted seeds, and the dark oil--which is even stronger
flavored--is made from toasted sesame seeds. You can find it in most
groceries in my area, in the oriental or international food sections,
and it would be in any Asian market, I would think. Keep it
refrigerated, or it will get rancid once opened.
==================
Wheat-free soy sauces are available in most health food stores and in
some supermarkets (Vons (Safeway in other parts of US) in So. Ca.
carries Angostura brand and soy sauce is also available in health food
stores as Tamari. I have used both with no problem. Also take it to
Chinese restaurants with me and have the cook prepare a stir-fry using
that and corn starch.
I use olive oil when I stir-fry and season with McCormicks garlic
powder and black pepper. Sometimes I add fresh herbs like basil to the
vegs. I've learned to not require heavily spiced food, which helps.
we do a lot of stir fry--have you tried toasted sesame oil? you
probably use a little bit less than you would soy sauce. this oil is
dark brown, smells wonderful, and needs to be kept refrigerated. it's
not an oil for cooking, it's for eating! i have some from trader joe's,
but i've seen it in lots of other shops.