From:
Elyse Sheppard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 1995 00:49:02 -0500

Dear List,
  Someone wrote asking about where the get the Welbilt machines. You can
purchase them at Walmart, they carry the abm 2100 which comes with
gluten-free recipes, at least it did when I bought mine. It has only a
one pound capacity, so you will have to cut down almost all other
recipes, they seem to be one and one-half. To do this, follow Bette's
instructions on page 26 which is to cut out one-third of recipe. This is
her More From The Gluten Free Gourmet, which goes into some nice depth on
machines in general. When she spoke at our workshop in November, she said
there is a new Westbend machine coming out with _two_ dough hooks that
were retractable so the bread does not have dough bade marks or as some of
us have had happen, the dough will be stuck in the bread. I know that the
Home Shopping Channel have Welbilts for salein their catalog. You have to
call the regular number to get the catalog number. It was a step up model
the abm 150, I think, but this was a rebuilt. I called on this because it
was a great deal, 99.99 normally ti model was 2??.?? something and it does
have the  full year warrenty. Sears carries a Welbilt, I forget if it is
under Kenmore, the more I think about it, it is under Kenmore Choices. I
tried to sell Welbilts for awhile, but I couldn't beat Walmart's prices.
They, also, had a free bread knife last year!!
   Now, to my experiences. The welbuilt will accept rice milk, instead of
dairy, oil instead of butter, honey instead of sugar. Egg replacer worked
if I didn't substitute too much of the other stuff, same with using
perserves instead of oil. I did find very fresh yeast a must. The Red Star
rep. said not to heat up yeast to 185 degrees like the label said, this was
for wheat. Gluten free flours only need 110 to 115 degrees. I'm sorry, let
me back up. I found preactivating my yeast before putting it in the
breadmachine was best. I always add a little sugar for the yeast to eat. I
have mixed the batter on occasion to help the machine to knead better. If
you can program your machine to skip kneading time go to the shortest time
available. You will have your bread quicker, the extra time isn't
needed. I, also, use a Panasonic and have done even better with it.
Hope this helps, Mike Jones posted earlier about a breadmachine that could
skip one kneading, I think he said it was 99.99 and available from one of
the shopping networks.
Thank you all for this wonderful  list. Have a great holiday!
Elyse, Gluten free in columbus, ohio