From:
Donald Baisch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donald Baisch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2003 18:59:56 -0700

My wife I have just completed a two week trip to Lawrence, Kansas to
visit our two grandchildren and their parents. Of course
I went to find how readily would I find GF products, so I wouldn't have
to bake my bread and bring it with me.
I found many of the standard brands of foods in the major food chains,
(Like Krogers - Dillons and Food 4 Less). I also found a very good
"health Food store" on the corner of 6th and Iowa. called the "The Merc"
for the mercantile company. It had many of the standard GF products many
of us have grown to expect. Also its prices were very reasonable. I also
found two products that I had not seen before.
The first one was  McCann's "Quick Cooking" Irish Oatmeal" in a 16oz
box. without raisins, cinnamon or other "flavors". Its price was very
reasonable and we couldn't wait to try it before we came home. The very
next morning we made oatmeal mush and it tasted just like we remembered
"Quakers rolled oats".
The second one was Road's End Organics "dairy free Penne & Chreese" They
advertise on the box that it is "vegan, gluten free, soy & nut free, no
egg, no whey or casein, no candido albicans, Kosher, Lactose free,
cholesterol free, rich in vitamin B-12, high fiber, no saturated fat,
good source of folate. They also claim that it has "the taste of
childhood all grown up!!". We cooked it up tonight, out first night
home. The penne had good texture. The overall flavor was not one that I
remember from my childhood. To be honest, I ate it all, but I don't
think I would ever try it again

don in carlsbad, california