Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 22:17:07 -0500

Dear ListServe Members,

I'd like to clarify a statement I forwarded a couple of days ago on canola
oil and my intentions which were only honorable.  I was not speaking as a
company representative and did not have anything to gain by posting this.

Like Lin, I am an "old" celiac, diagnosed in 1952 and have spent a good deal
of my life researching and educating myself so I can stay healthy.  Since
1993, I have also been doing this for my now 22-year-old son so he can have
the best chance at a healthy gluten-free lifestyle as well.

I have gone through years when we were told that we could not have vinegar
or lick envelopes or eat oatmeal, guar gum or even mushrooms (yes truly).
Each time something was added or taken away, I felt a tidal wave crashed
into my gluten-free food chain.

In light of this, I have discovered how important it is to verify other
people's claims by doing my own research.  I have never had a problem with
canola oil, but the recent postings gave me a bit of concern.  So I asked a
few people I consider experts in the field and wanted to share what I found
- the best comment came from the Canola Council so I used that one.  But I
also did a Google search and found many articles that support that
information.  I thought I would share it in case others might also find it
helpful.  That was it.  Mine is no more or less of an opinion than anyone
else's.

I have worn a lot of hats in the celiac community over the last twenty
years.  Fortunately I have never encountered the hostility I have received
from this post.  Let's just say it must be the full moon.

Here's to good health!

Beth Hillson
Founder, Gluten-Free Pantry
President, American Celiac Disease Alliance
www.americanceliac.org