From:
Lynn Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lynn Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2007 17:12:21 -0400

Thanks to  everyone who responded to   me.  I asked for info on gf
status of two specific allergy meds taken by my ten year old son. (gf
since  11 months   old - sudden onset of  sporadic vomiting  and
diarrhea that has persisted off  and  on for past two weeks).

There was consensus that  Children's chewable benadryl tablets are  gf.

Most people responded that the zyrtec tablets were gf, but at least two
people responded that they are not.  However, upon carefully reading the
mile-long package insert, it states that vomiting and diarrhea are
possible side effects of the zyrtec.  So we  have stopped it for now.

His Ttg   results from  last week were normal, so that would seem to
support that both meds are in fact gf.

To all of the folks who offered advice on non-drug interventions with
allergies - we actually do  have an elaborate   routine  developed with
his allergist..  My son has severe seasonal allergies that cause
spasmodic croup and he  ends up in the ER.  We have him shower and
change clothes when he comes in from outside, we run a HEPA filter in
his room, we clean  his nasal passages with saline twice per day, he
takes steroid nasal spray daily from February thru November.  However,
there are some periods of the year when all of these measure together
are not enough, and we end up having to put him on antihistamines on top
of everything else.  It isn't my preference, but  it keeps him out of
the ER.

Today I was able to get  him into see  our gi doc, who suspects ghiardia
- we are doing another round of tests.

Thanks again  to everyone for the good wishes and support, Lynn