From:
Yehudit Massouda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 20:01:36 -0500

I appologise for the delay in this post, but I did recieve some helpful
information that I'd like to share with everyone.

Firstly, I recieved this information from a fellow listmate about
maltodextrins and starches:

"From the CSA/USA Commercial Products Handbook:

"Starch: In the U.S. , when the single word "starch" appears on a food
label, it must derived from corn.  Noted in the CFR Title 21, Sec.
578.100, Oct. 1, 1980."

I have also read this in several other places but can't quote the
sources. Modified corn starch is also OK (according to the same book)
because it comes from corn. I'm not sure now if the label "modified
starch" even exists, but I am certain that "modified food starch" is the
one you m ust be careful with.

From the same CSA/USA handbook:

"Maltodextrins: Sugars obtained by hydrolysis of, most commonly, corn
starch; CFR Title 21, Section 184.1444, March 26, 1998, maltodextrins
... can be made from corn, potato, or rice starch." Not, however, from
wheat starch. I don't remember where I read the part about the
medications and imported maltodextrin, but maltodextrin in American made
foods absolutely is not a source of gluten."

Secondly, I was told that Hebrew National and the following Empire
products are g.f.:

Frozen Whole Roasted Turkey
Fresh Rotisserie Chicken
Fresh Chill Pack Chicken & Turkey
Frozen Whole Turkey & Turkey Breasts
Frozen Chicken
Individually Quick Frozen Chicken parts
Frozen or Fresh Ground Turkey
Fully Cooked Barbecue Chicken (Fresh or Frozen)
Fully Cooked Barbecue Turkey (Fresh or Frozen)
Premiere-Signature Edi
tion All Natural Turkey Breast with Skin
Premiere-Signature Edition All Natural Turkey Breast Skinless
Preferred-Signature Edition Turkey Breast, Skinless
Preferred-Signature Edition Smoked Turkey Breast, Skinless
Preferred-Signature Edition Browned Turkey Breast, Skinless
Preferred-Signature Edition Honey, Browned Turkey Breast, Skinless
Preferred-Signature Edition Browned Chicken Breast, Skinless
Preferred-Signature Edition Turkey Breast Pastrami, Skinless
Preferred-Signature Edition Turkey Pastrami, Skinless
Signature Edition-Oven Prepared Turkey Breast
Signature Edition-Smoked Turkey Breast
Turkey Salami Roll
Turkey Bologna Roll
White Turkey Roll
Smoked Turkey Breast-Slices
Turkey Salami-Slices
Turkey Pastrami-Slices
Turkey Breast-slices
Chicken Bologna-slices
Turkey Franks
Chicken Franks
Rendered Chicken Fat

Lastly, someone added that ham (including the "water added"
kind) and turkey breast are likely to have gluten.

Thanks again.

Yehudit