From:
Rabia Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 23:06:05 EST

Hi, all. Just joined the group. Found out I was Celiac 5 months ago.

Had a good experience recently at our HEB's Central Market West Gate store in
Austin. I had read that meat from delis might have gluten on it. So, the next
time I went, I asked the man there to clean the machine before cutting the
meat for me, and he was very gracious about it. This morning, needing more, I
called him at work before 8am, and he still had a clean machine, and he cut the
meat for me and held it until I came. Once there, he showed me that their
roast beef machine was only used on their house brand GF roast beef, with no
additives, and so it could just be wiped clean, without taking it apart, and my
meat can be cut on that at any time, from now on. Central Market also has a
cooking school, and includes GF cooking classes each semester, so they're really
conscious about it.

I've also approached the bakery manager about getting GF breads from a local
cafe (Wild Wood Art Cafe And Bakery), and they're looking into it. Whole Foods
Market has a GF bakery plant in North Carolina, and sells out of their bread
in their store here in Austin (the biggest one in the country) so fast that it
also gets breads from Wild Wood. The owner of Wild Wood, Mariah Justice,
makes 300 GF, dairy and egg-free pies, and cobblers with non-GMO dough
conditioners every Thanksgiving and Christmas, in two days! They also make cakes to
order. I like their muffins, and use the hamburger buns for open-face sandwiches.
They started out as a folk art company, selling wood figures and rugs from
Mexico, and added the cafe three years ago. The art is also on the website. I'd
be up a creek here without it, as far as GF breads go, as the Whole Foods
products have nuts, raisins and corn, which I can't eat. They're at
www.wildwoodartcafe.com, and do ship.

What successes have you had in getting more GF products in groceries? Any hot
tips?

Rabia ([log in to unmask])