From:
Diane Ebert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diane Ebert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 2003 13:33:12 -0500

HI again,

I just had to share some comments made I got while reading the encouraging emails.  If anyone wants to share more, would love to laugh.!!! Laughter is good medicine!!!!!

{} my additions!(smiley face!)
Diane, Iowa

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Friends are God's apology for family."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{I mentioned family was to be 'thicker than water?"}
I'm thinking thicker not in the sense  you mean - more like
brains thicker than tar!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The greatest of faults is to be conscious of none.
Celiac is like the Rodney
Dangerfield of the disease world-- can't get no respect.
If one of the relatives got as sick as many of us do,  then they would be singing a different tune.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Closed minds cannot be changed because you can't get in 'em
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The *reality* underneath the responses you have gotten from family members
seems to be a combination of scoffing at something they are ignorant about,
as well as fears and their feeling threatened that they might have to give
up their precious (unhealthy) glutinous eating patterns.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't let the turkeys get you down, even if you love them very much,
{I/we do love 'em!}
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tell them to put you in their will because you might be out-living them!
{just kidding, but I had to put this in here!}
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have an aunt who refuses to get tested, and has told her kids there is no
reason to get tested -- because it's a genetic thing so they couldn't
possibly have it!  LOL!  My mom carries two genes for Celiac, and is her
ONLY SISTER!  But not to worry, it's genetic so not a concern for them!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Until you walk a mile in another man's shoes... you don't know why he has
blisters.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She said she eats bread all the time,
so it could not be Celiac!  She even asked her GI Dr. who said she has
Crohn's so she COULD NOT have celiac!  Ignorance abounds!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your family members negativity can only hurt themselves in
the long run. They may or may not have celiac but gosh, why not know for
sure? I think personal health and well-being is well worth any
inconvenience but obviously not everyone agrees or loves themselves
enough to show bravery in searching for possibilities. I often attribute
this to fear-- fear of testing positive. Not only that: I think the idea
of "celiac DISEASE" is scary to many.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So many people don't believe it's "real" and think we've just made it all up (wouldn't that be crazy to think we would do that...duh)
My mom is one of the nicest people I know and would wish any ill
on anyone.  But one time I was talking to her about a relative and that
they where throwing away their life.  They had so much potential and if
they just applied themselves they could finish high school and I really
believe where smart enough for college.

My sweet mom, smiled at me and matter of factly said, "The world
needs ditch diggers, too."
{I agree! People who 'listen' when we need to 'vent' is so precious!}