From:
Rebecca markle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 21:31:44 -0600

I was reading the archives of the St. Johns' AUTISM-PHYSIO list, and I saw
a post dated 21 October (entitled "Cimetidine & Secretin")  It cites an
article - Plasma secretin concentrations and gastric pH in Healthy subjects
& patients with digestive diseases.  Dig. Dis Sci, 1981, July 26: 7 591-7.

This sentence in question:  " Plasma secretin concentrations were
determined in healthy subjects  and patients with duodenal ulcer,
achlorhydria, and  celiac sprue. ... Failure of post-prandial rise in
plasma secretin in patients with celiac disease is attributed to impaired
release of secretin..."

Uh, I didn't know that celiacs were prone to problems with secretin
secretion.  I like to follow autism issues, and the big buzz there is how
positively some autistic children to an injection of secretin. (There are
serious limitations to this, though, and the use of secretin for autistic
still needs rigorous evaluation).  But what does this mean for us celiacs?

The second part of this that bugs me is that secretin is made in the
pancreas.  Now, if I remember my physiology right, the Islets of Langerhans
are located in the pancreas.  Given the number of diabetics who are gluten
intolerant,  is the vigor of the pancreas a predictor of how healthy a
celiac will be?

What do we know about celiacs and secretin?  What do we need to know about
CD and secretin?

Bec