From:
Karen Rifkin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen Rifkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 22:43:22 -0400

Hello
Thank you all again.
This is not a summary, but I received so many responses this is the best I could do.

My racing heart problems are likely to some extent anxiety related...but who knows.

But the inderal (which is not a drug you need take every day...it's one of the ones you
can take once a month..i.e it is not "built up in system" to be effective...)
 It is very helpful...though I loathe drugs and avoid them like the plague, this is one of
the rare ones I keep handy to use as needed...

get the magnesium checked  it can be your nutrition isn't where it
should be or maybe you don't drink enough water

Please read: http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=781
Although it is about bone minerals, it mentions some of the celiac
issues
related to magnesium.
For a more detailed explanation of the magnesium issue in celiac
disease,
read the Rude et. al. paper I cited.

es, magnesium (also calcium and potassium) will affect the way the heart pumps.  I have
had electrolyte imbalance and have taken magnesium and calcium both for this problem.
Too much of these can also cause heart palps or "heart heaviness".  The trick is to find
the balance of these which you need.  It is best to see a nutritionist for help with this, if
you don't know what you are doing.

Have you been tested for vitamin deficiencies?  Vitamin D is tied up
with
calcium and magnesium, so I'd look into that one, have them test for
both
the inactive and active forms of D (D 25 and D 1,25 I believe).  Only
my
inactive form was low, so the gastroenterologist said I'm fine, but the
endocrinologist did not agree with him, and I've been treated with
extra
prescriptions for Vitamin D.  The doctor didn't say it was related to
heart
racing and palpitations, he suspected more thyroid involvement on that,
but
the vitamin D seems to be helping with it anyway...it's tied up with
hormones as well.

See an endocrinologist for thyroid or Vitamin D/calcium/magnesium, they
really understand it better than any other doctors.

think a racing heart is one of the problems of a soy allergy.  Are you getting any soy
from somewhere?

I'm sure you'll get more information than you ever thought possible, but thought perhaps
my 2 cents might be helpful.

First, hypothyroidism can make one's heart race from time to time [which is how my docs
diagnosed me]. Secondly, Armour hypes me up and makes my heart race if I take it later
than 12 noon. Thirdly, if your thyroid is even just a little low, tell your doc you would like
to get your levels up to normal. It *is* something to be concerned about...the thing is,
most GPs, Internists and Family Practice docs don't know how to treat thyroid problems.
Ask to see an endocrinologist.

The thyroid is a critical organ in your body. Don't let it go...

Yes, I was also diagnosed with a racing heart, or was also called Super Ventricular
Technicardia (SVT).  I was actually on heart meds..a betablocker, for 10 years... and then
just took myself off of it about 2 years ago now because it made me so cloudy and dizzy!!
The magnessium definitely does help!  I haven't really had a problem at all since.

Aspartame poisoning did it for me.  I also have celiac and lactose intolerance.  My heart
rate would go way up and I went to the urgent care several times.  I had many tests
which all come back o.k.  I finally read something about this and asked my doctor if it
was real or made up, and she said some people seem to have problems.  I eliminated it
and I am now back to normal.  Well as normal as I will ever be.

strongly recommend that you get your hands on a copy of Peter
Green's book about celiac. I don't have my copy with me, or I'd find
the reference for you, but outlines possible cardiac complications of
celiac, including racing heart. It's nothing to mess around with
(which is not to say that there are not many other, and reasonably
benign, causes as well....I'm no cardiologist, and don't wish to give
the impression that I have anything but a scrap of information). It
is important to understand the root cause , I'd think, and not simply
treat the symptom.

Potasium difficancy will also cause this problem.

Yes I feel better when I take calcium magnesium, I had the racing heart  before I went I
the diet and now it is better but now I am absorbing my calcium magnesium. When I
forget to take it I will get a racing heart once in a while. I take www.freedavitamins.com
them vitamins they are gluten free. Good luck

y to hear you're going through this. I went through similar episodes - scary! - and passed
it off as peri-menopause/hormones for years - long story short - turns out [I just had
blood tests] I have additional food allergies - to dairy, egg, tree nuts and peanuts,
shellfish! Symptoms can be digestive, racing heart, shortness of breath, migraines,
etc...mine were all of the above.

I have experienced a racing heart too, it is gone for now, but I have gone through a few
periods of this, and they were unable to find out what it is.  I do have to say that both
times I was taking herbs and/or aciphex, so I discontinued both and it has gone away, so
I am hoping that is it

y daughter, a celiac, gets a racing heart and was slightly
hypothyroid.   I've put her on the autoimmune protocol from Dr Joel
Fuhrman (www.drfuhrman.com).

*******
*******