From:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 21:29:52 -0400

Several members wrote to me surprise at the thougt but you can pretty
much use any recipe for a pie filling which is  fairly solid and bake it
without the crust.   I first did it about twenty years ago with a sweet
potato pie recipe for my mother who really did not need to consume a
crust.

In answer to several requests for instructions.....here goes.  Make sure
the pie pan has no holes....I use a stoneware quiche pan.  Grease it
thoroughly with butter or crisco...do not use Pam or margagine...Pam is
not gf and besdies, batters tend to stick or burn with them.  Butter and
crisco hold up better.   If you wish, you can sprinkle nuts, coconut,
cocoa etc on the bottom, but that is really not required.

Preheat oven to 350, and prepare a bain-marie.  Take  a roasting pan
with appros. 3" deep sides, bring it to oven, place pie pan in roasting
pan and add warm water to come up 1" on side of pie pan....bake until
done.  This gentle cooking results in a far more tender an delicate
filling.  Remove pan from water bath and let cool.  If you refrigerate
for too long, filling begins to "weep"  but it is still good.  Of
course, you can also bake this in ind. serving sizes, which then can be
decorated.  Use pyrex or corning ware bowls or souffle dishes.

Ann