From:
Idelle Datlof <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Idelle Datlof <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 2003 13:18:17 -0400

Listmates: Thanks for all your responses; recipes, advice and cautions.
Here they are:

1- Call Red Star Yeast Co., 800-423-5422 who reputedly will send you a
bunch of good recipes for gluten-free bread. In addition, there are many
books available, most notably, by Betty Hagman, "The Gluten-Free Gourmet
Bakes Bread: More Than 200 Wheat-Free Recipes, includes instructions for
bread machines.

2- I use prepackaged bread machine mixes from the Gluten Free Pantry.
You can find them on the web.  They are located in Connecticut. I think
their website is www.glutenfree.com.  their products are found in local
health food stores (if you tell them your ZIP code they will tell you
where) and you can also order by mail from them. It is very easy - just
add eggs, water, oil to the mix and that's it!

3- Here are the recipes for the two breads I make.  I make them in a
Zojirushi bread maker which I have programmed myself, so hope they will
work in your machine.  They make 2 pound loaves, which are fairly large,
so be aware of that in your machine if it's a smaller size - it's a real
mess if it goes over the top!

Bean Bread (for the bread machine)

Make a mix of:
1 cup light bean flour (I make my own flour by grinding small white
beans)
3/4 cup brown or white rice flour (I use brown)
1/2 cup potato starch flour
1 cup tapioca flour
2 1/2 tsp. Xanthan gum
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. gelatin
3 Tbsp. brown sugar

Combine dry ingredients and mix well.

Mix together:
3 eggs
1/4 cup melted margarine or butter (1/2 stick)
1 tsp. vinegar
1 Tbsp. honey
1 1/2 cups water.

Directions for bread maker:
Put the wet ingredients in the pan first, then place
the dry ingredients on top.  Make a well in the flour
and add 2 and 1/2 tsp. yeast.

You may need to add a bit more water (a tsp. at a time) and stir when it
first begins to mix to ensure that all the flour is combined well.

I bake mine in the Zojirushi at the following settings:
Warm:  15 minutes
Mix:  18 minutes
Rise:  43 minutes
Bake:  55 minutes
Crust:  Medium

A few minutes into the mix cycle, use a spatula to scrape any flour off
of the sides of the pan and into the batter.  The dough tends to bunch
up around the beaters, so during the mix cycle I sometimes use the
spatula to even it out a bit.  Batter should be about the consistency of
frosting, and is VERY STICKY.  At the start of the
rise cycle, I use the spatula to even out the batter and give it a
smooth top before baking.

Olivia's Gluten-Free Bread (for bread machine)

3 large eggs (beat slightly by hand)
1 tsp cider vinegar (wheat free - ingredients)
3 Tbs. Canola oil
1 ¼ cups water (as hot as will come out of your tap)
Mix the above ingredients together, then place in bread machine pan.

Add together:
1 cup white rice flour                2 1/2 Tbs. sugar
1 cup brown rice flour               2 tsp Xanthan Gum
1/2 cup potato starch                1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup dry milk                                   1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp gelatin
Mix the dry ingredients together well and pour on top of liquid
(liquid should be in the pan).  Spoon in on top of the flour:

2 Tbs. butter (chunks of butter in several areas)
1 Tbsp active dry yeast  (place in center of pan on
                           top of flour - make a small hole)

I bake mine in the Zojirushi at the following settings:
Warm:  15 minutes
Mix:  18 minutes
Rise:  43 minutes
Bake:  55 minutes
Crust:  Medium

A few minutes into the mix cycle, use a spatula to scrape any flour off
of the sides of the pan and into the batter.  The dough tends to bunch
up around the beaters, so during the mix cycle I sometimes use the
spatula to even it out a bit.  Batter should be about the consistency of
frosting, and is VERY STICKY.  At the start of the
rise cycle, I use the spatula to even out the batter and give it a
smooth top before baking.

4- Currently at http://www.celiac.com <http://www.celiac.com/>  there is
a bread class by
Karen Robertson.  It is an excellent class and she suggests
alternative flours as teff, buckwheat, amaranth, millet.  These
flours are more nutritious (more protein and vitamins) than the more
traditional GF flours.  She includes a short description of the
attributes of each flour in her list.

5- Bob's Red Mill has an extensive listing of GF recipes at
http://www.bobsredmill.com <http://www.bobsredmill.com/>   You can
search the recipes easily or
print a list of the recipes for reference.

6- Flax seed and flax meal can be found at the Flax Council of Canada
http://www.flaxcouncil.ca <http://www.flaxcouncil.ca/>   I found this
through the Bob's Red Mill
site--they have some recipes from that source.  The Flax Council has
a nice cookbook that can be printed using PDF.  The recipes are not
GF--some are naturally GF, others can be adapted easily.  I use Bob's
Red Mill all purpose flour and subsitute it for the regular flour
with 1 tsp xanthan gum per cup of flour (some authors vary in
guidelines for amounts of xanthan).

7- Buckwheat Flour/Kasha recipes can be found at
http://www.thebirkettmills.com <http://www.thebirkettmills.com/>   They
have a nice Buckwheat Cookbook
that has some GF recipes and others that can be easily modified.  The
cookbook can be ordered and is inexpensive.

 Other sources for bread recipes include basic references such as
Carol Fenster's Gluten-Free 101:  Easy, Basic Dishes without Wheat
and Shelley Case's Gluten-Free Diet:  A Comprehensive Resource Guide.

BUCKWHEAT BREAD

1c white rice flour
1c brown rice flour (we've substituted 1/2c potato STARCH flour and 1/2
sweet sorghum flour when out of  b. rice flour, worked ok)
1/4c soy flour
1/4c cornstarch
1/2c buckwheat
2-1/2t xanthan gum
1-1/2t salt

Mix these dry ingredients together in bowl, set aside.

3 eggs
1t vinegar
3T vegetable oil
1T molasses
1t Knox powdered gelatin
1-3/4 c WARM water
3T sugar
1T dry yeast

Mix the warm water w/ yeast and sugar, set aside while you mix the rest
of
the wet ingredients together (I use the KitchenAid), then dump in the
yeast/H20/sugar mixture, mix,  then pour in the dry ingredients and
gently
mix the whole thing.

Next we poured it all into the bread machine pan (we have a pretty basic

Oster Deluxe 2# Bread & Dough Maker w/ the square-ish pan).  The dough
is
pretty gloppy...we set the machine to BASIC and MEDIUM crust and let it
do
its job...2:45 total time in the machine and then remove it
immediately.  Its unbelievable!

The best bread mix for a bread machine is from the Gluten Free Pantry.
It comes in a small loaf size (1 lb) called Gluten Free Pantry Delicious
Slicing Bread Mix and a larger (2lb loaf) called Gluten Free Pantry
Favorite Sandwich Bread Mix.  The bread machine does all the work!

8- http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages - for more bread
machine recipes