Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2008 16:45:37 -0600

Hi All--

According to a dozen or so alerts I've received this week re: the discovery
of seven new gene regions leading to celiac disease, what does this mean for
those of us who are *not* biopsy diagnosed? The link below is just one
article I've seen...

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2008-03/qmuo-suf022708.php

I haven't seen a reference to the specific regions and/or markers. To those
of you who are much more inclined to know what's what with this type of
thing, what can we expect in terms of testing? I've been diagnosed, by gene,
with a primary immune deficiency. Based on what most immunologists say,
people with immune deficiencies are (possibly) more likely to have
autoimmune diseases, or at least as susceptible. A discussion is going on on
another list re: whether or not the immune deficiency masks autoimmune test
results. If that's true, is genetic testing the only sure way for immune
deficient persons to know if they have celiac disease? And secondarily, when
do we know when all of the gene regions have been located so that genetic
testing will be reasonably accurate? Never...?

Any info anyone can add to this latest news of new gene regions being
discovered would be terrific.  ~~Ayn in Alabama