From:
Elaine & Calin Rovinescu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 11:13:23 -0500

Dear Listmates,

This came from the Celiac Association of Israel, I thought it would be
of interest to everyone traveling to Israel.

  "In Israel the manufacturers must (by law) clearly label gluten
  content in the ingredient list. However, many of them do not obey
  and therefore we use a booklet.

  This booklet and all other information we hand out is in Hebrew, so
  it helps only if you can read the language.

  There are lots of hidden gluten in Israel including spices, soups,
  and even processed meat. The good thing is that the big
  manufacturers do label their products, but again if it does not say
  there is gluten, one can not be sure whether it is GF or the
  manufacturer is not obeying the law..."

I found a restaurant card in the book "Against the Grain" which I will
photocopy, unfortunately nothing in Arabic for the Jordan side of our
trip.

I will send any new information I find upon my return

Elaine (Montreal)