From:
Debbie Gates <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Debbie Gates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 10:50:12 -0800

My son is in the Army. I recently convinced him to have blood testing done. He has symptoms, but not every time he ingests gluten. That is the same way I was, and that's one of the reasons I couldn't pinpoint anything as the culprit to my stomach pain. Anyway, his IgA AB was in the "normal" range. His anti-endomysial was at 3.7. I have been of the understanding that anti-endomysial anti-bodies should be "none" in order to be normal, and that the higher the number the more damage is likely present. Mine was at 300+ when first tested. I was 48 years old and had been suffering with stomach problems since childhood. My anti-endomysial is now "none detected" after 2 1/2 years being GF. My son is 24 and has had stomach problems off and on since early teens. Does anyone know if there is actually an acceptable number for the anti-endomysial antibody? Also, can anyone with DH please describe the rash. My son has small circles (a little larger than an eraser) on his arms above the elbows and on his knees that look like dry skin but are raised. This is hard to describe - sorry! Sometimes the entire area turns red. He says it does not itch. I'm convinced he's got CD, but the Army says he doesn't based on his blood tests and won't do any further testing. Sorry for the length of this post. I welcome any thoughts about these questions.  Thanks.         Debbie/AZ