From:
Lynda Swink <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:59:54 -0800

Sorry this took so long, but here is the info I received:

IS ISOMALT SAFE?   2 People said yes

WHAT IS IT?  -  It is a type of sugar alcohol (sometimes referred to as
alcohol sugar), related to sorbitol and maltitol. It's not alcoholic,
and it is a sugar, and is gf. All the sugar alcohols often have laxative
properties, though, especially when consumed in any quantity. They are
frequently used in products for people with diabetes because they aren't
metabolized in the same way as the -ose (glucose, sucrose, dextrose)
sugars are. Looks like they're both gf. Isomalt is "derived from sugar"

One person mentioned that is was listed as gluten free on several
diabetic websites

One person said it was derived from a gluten containing source (but I
could not find anywhere on the net that listed that connection.)

WHAT CAN I USE INSTEAD?

1 - Any hard candy

2 - Drink peppermint tea, chicken broth, any warm liquids, lemon and
honey;
boil water, pour it into a bowl, put a towel over your head, sniff the
steam, use a netti pot or squirt warm water with salt into your
nostrils, (this helps to loosen the mucus which has all the nasty
bacteria in it).
I don't know about Ricola, but I have no trouble with Cold-eeze drops.
There's a tea called Throat Coat (I can get it in my grocery store) it
doesn't taste good, but it doesn't taste bad either. (I usually add
some kind of fruity tea bag with it to help the flavor) It helps me
tremendously, but temporarily. If you use essential oils, peppermint and
or Eucalyptus oils are great. Even a hot bath and inhaling the steam is
soothing for sore throats. Take some vitamin B complex (it's a stress
vitamin) to help you regain some energy. But get lots of rest and leave
the work for when you get better.

3 - Coldeeze.  Zinc helps shorten the cold cycle.

4 - How about warm tea and honey?  Aspirin?  Did you gargle with warm
salt water.  (all old remedies)

5 - Nature Made throat lozenges or Robitussin Natural Honey cough drops.

6 - Try something like Maylon or other liquid antacid that coats.

7- concoct a mixture of rum, lemon juice, and honey - we loved it! Warm
salt water gargles do wonders, too.

Thanks to all of you who showed concern for my health and suggested I
get to the Dr. ASAP.  I did and of course the antibiotics worked
wonders.  Too bad my DR. didn't believe me in the first place and just
start the antibiotics.  As is was, I had to wait three days for the
culture and another 3 days to start feeling relief!

Oh well...

Lynda Swink

~*~ [log in to unmask]  ~*~ _@V ~*~