Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:16:09 -0500

Blank
I just got off the phone with my sister-in-law who lives in the Phoenix area.  I have been harping on her to get her 6th grader tested for celiac. His three cousins, great grandma, aunt, etc all have it.  He is VERY small for his age.  In fact they started growth hormone shots a year ago, and he grew some, but no a lot.  I told her the culprit can be celiac disease.  I said why not just do a simple blood test and then you will know for your own peace of mind.  Well her pediatrician said the only way to diagnose it was through a biopsy.  Then she said to her "do you even know anyone that has stuck to this diet?"  My sister-in-law told her that I as well as my kids all did.  She said "well I think I would rather have a stomach ache than try and stick to the diet!"  My sister-in-law couldn't believe it!  She said, "well I have seen how painful it can be, and I tell you she would rather stick to the diet than have to go through that again."

Now my questions.  Are there any good pediatricians in the Phoenix area with good knowledge of Celiac sprue?  Anyone had experience where there kids didn't have a lot of signs of celiac other than slow growth?

Thanks for any info!
Heidi