From:
Tiffany Teeman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tiffany Teeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 08:57:26 -0700

Hi all,

Me and my SO recently became engaged, and that means it's time to plan a
wedding. While I'm sure putting these things together is always a challenge,
my status as a celiac bride is adding an extra element of difficulty. I've
decided that I want a totally g-f wedding, both since my dad is also a
celiac and because I feel that my own wedding is the last place I should be
surrounded by food I can't eat!

Since there are so many decent g-f cake mixes and recipes, I'm not too
concerned about that part. I'm mainly concerned about the actual meal. We're
planning on about 60-75 guests, and I'd like to serve either a dinner or a
very heavy hors d'oeuvres spread. But I'm not sure how to make that happen!

My original thought was that I'd cater it myself since I love to cook and
have a bunch of fellow grad-student volunteers to help. The advantages of
this are that I don't have to explain all of the hidden pitfalls of our diet
to a caterer and I can design a menu I know everyone would like. On the
downside, I don't really want to be worrying about the details of the food
prep on my wedding day or the days leading up to it! And this whole thing is
dictating our choice of venue, since some require working with their
preferred/licensed caterers.

Does anyone have any advice here? What have some of you done for your
weddings? If you used a caterer, how did you find someone you could
trust/was willing to work with you? Any success or horror stories?

For what it's worth, I'm in Los Angeles, and the wedding will be in late
2006. If anyone has any specific vendor recommendations, I'm all ears!

Thank you!