From:
R John Specht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 22:43:17 -0500

Following the recent post about the demise of Progresso's Cream of
Mushroom soup, I visited their web site, expressed the hope that its
production might be revived, and asked for a list of their gf
products. I received an e-mail in reply, with a hint of blame that we
should have bought more when it was in production (I tried--I could
never find it), and appending a list of all their foods which DO
contain allergens, sensitivities,  etc. I wish I had saved the post,
so I could share it with you. Their statement that they do not
release lists of products free of particular allergens contradicts
somewhat the appearance in the CSA/USA booklet of df products.

What a contrast to get the following back from a visit and similar
request to the Ragu web site:
==============================
Hi,

Thanks for stopping by!

As I'm sure you know, gluten is found in wheat and rye, and to a lesser degree
in barley and oats. The following pasta sauces that are made by Ragu
and Lipton are gluten free:

*The source of Modified Food Starch in our Sauces is Corn

GLUTEN FREE:
Five Brothers
Fresh Tomato & Basil
Grilled Eggplant & Parmesan Cheese
Grilled Summer Vegetable
Mushroom & Garlic Grill
Roasted Tomato & Garlic

Ragu Cheese Creations
Classic Alfredo
Creamy Tomato Romano
Double Cheddar
Four Cheese
Light Parmesan Alfredo
Roasted Garlic Parmesan

Ragu Chunky Garden Style
Garden Combination
Mushroom & Green Pepper
Mushroom & Roasted Garlic
Roasted Red Pepper & Garlic
Super Chunky Mushroom
Super Garlic
Super Vegetable Primavera
Tomato, Spinach & Cheese
Tomato, Basil & Italian Cheese
Tomato, Garlic & Onion

Ragu Hearty Robusto!
7 Herb Tomato
Chopped Tomato Olive Oil & Garlic
Parmesan & Romano
Red Wine & Herbs
Roasted Garlic
Sauteed Beef Onion & Garlic
Sauteed Onion & Garlic
Sauteed Onion & Mushroom
Spicy Red Pepper

Ragu Light
Chunky Mushroom & Garlic
No Sugar Added Tomato & Basil
Roasted Garlic Primavera
Tomato & Basil

Ragu Old World Style
Flavored with Meat
Marinara
Mushroom
Traditional
Ragu Pizza Sauce

PRODUCTS CONTAINING GLUTEN:
Ragu Pizza Quick Crust Mix

Because our products are formulated for use by the majority of our consumers,
and not specifically for those on restricted diets, it is possible our product
formulations may change at any time.

- Lists of this type reflect products as formulated at a specific time
- Possible that more products/varieties may have been added
- More important, changes in existing products may have occurred

Therefore, we suggest reading all ingredient labels carefully.

We hope this information is helpful.
Your friends at Ragu
'Nuff siad,
John