From:
Barbara Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barbara Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 07:01:44 -0600

 Hi Everyone,

I have had a Kitchenaid Stand Mixer (Model KSM90, 300 watts) for many years.  Recently, after nearly 3 years of heavy use on gluten free breads, etc., it started making some strange noises and I decided I better replace it before it gives up entirely.

My thought was to replace it with the Professional (Model KP2671, 525 watts) or the Epicurean (475 watts).  I also planned to have my original repaired for a backup and called an authorized Kitchenaid repair station to make arrangements.

I had an interesting conversation with the owner of the repair station.  He recomended NOT buying either the Professional or Epicurean as he has them in his shop all of the time for problems, especially  with the switch that turns the machine on and selects the speeds.   He said that the new switch is very problematic and is very costly to replace ($75 for a new circuit board).

He recommended purchasing the Model KSM5 which is the heavy duty 5 quart model 325 watts or the commercial Model KSMC50 which is 350 watts.  He advised that he knows of several people who use the KSM5 in commercial cake making and have very little problems with them.

I started searching for both of the above models in local stores and on the internet and found that Sams Club carried the KSM5 at a very good price ($299.96).  It comes with a grinder/pasta maker attachment as well.

In my search, I also found that Sams Club now sells the Zojirushi Bread Machine (Model BBCC-V20) for $124.97.   You can check www.samsclub.com for both items.

I have no financial interest in Kitchenaid, Zojirushi, or Sams Club -- I just thought I would share the results of my search.

Happy GF Baking!

Barbara in Illinois