From:
Shannon Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 15:15:52 EDT

Dear fellow celiacs,
I was diagnosed 2 years ago and have done pretty well on the GF diet.  I have
3 kids.  Only one has been tested and he was found to have the gene (DNA) for
sprue but not actively have the disease.  He is 9 and the oldest of the three.

An MD in Dallas who researchs sprue  (Ken Fine) feels he should be on the GF
diet even though he does not actively have the disease.  I'm not sure what to
do.  I hate the thought of doing that to a child if I don't have to.  Anyway, my
husband and I have talked it over and decided to try it for 3 months and see
if it makes a difference.  For example,  will he grow!  He is the same weight
as his 6 year old sister!  What do yall think?  Are we doing the right thing?

My next question is can anyone tell me anything to help putting a child on the
GF diet?  We have decided to make the whole family GF as it would be easier
on the 9 year old.  Does anyone know of any good snack ideas?  What about the
bread for a sandwich at school.  I always toast mine at home for a sandwich,
but he won't be able to do that!  I need help and advice from anyone out there
who has kids (or not) about how to feed these kids.

We plan to start on September 1st so I'm trying to plan and would really
appreciate any advice I can get.  Thanks for all of your good information that
I am so grateful to have access to on a daily basis.  I live in Waco, Texas and
don't really have anyone here to lean on.  There is a support group in Dallas,
but I can't get up there every month.

Thanks for anything you can tell me!

Shannon in Texas, USA