From:
Betty Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 May 2001 13:14:55 EDT

Thanks to the many of you who responded to our question on available cottage
cheeses for celiacs.  For too long we had denied ourselves this food because
we thought it was not gluten-free.  Below are some of the brands that you
have advised are gluten-free:

 Breakstone
 Friendship
 Horizon
 Dean's Dry Curd
 Cabots
 Nancy's

Some of these are only available in specific geographical areas.  It should
be noted that several mentioned that the modified food starch is the problem
in cottage cheese -- if corn based, it is okay.  Check with the manufacturer
if uncertain.  Also, many said that the low fat cottage cheeses are the most
likely to be the ones that are not GF.

Carl in Ohio