From:
Ryen Lubbe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ryen Lubbe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2006 09:50:57 -0800

Mexico is the easiest place to eat.  Lots of corn based meals.  There
were several restaurants on the main strip (can't remember the names)
that were good to eat at.  Venture around.  There is a walmart nearby,
but not sure
what they had.  Don't look for GF stuff... it doesn't exist.   Good
luck
It's a nice place.  Beach, restaurants, shopping...

I have been to the Cancun/Rivera Maya three times.  Mexico is wonderful
for gf dining.  I always take my restaurant card in Spanish and give it
to where ever I go.  The hotel is awesome they will tell you what you
can eat or make something especially for you.  I have been to two
different all inclusive and they were both great.  Eating out is the same, I
never had a problem, give them the restaurant card and they will tell
you what you can eat.
Be prepared for the travel day.  That is the worst take food you can
eat on the plane or in the airport.  Nuts, raisins, cereal, pretzels,
cold pizza, donuts are all some of the food I would take to have on hand.

Hi, I stayed at the Iberostar resort (there are two there, i dont
recall the name of the one where we stayed) 3 years ago with my celiac
daughter. I wasn't always 100% confident of the buffet food, and some nights
we had trouble with slow service for my daughter, but for the most
part, there were many choices. Much local food uses corn rather than wheat.
We chatted with guest services on arrival and they assigned us one of
their restaurant managers, who was very attentive. It was helpful that
we had a Spanish-speaking person in our group, but you might be able to
find someone to translate a restaurant card. (The restaurant managers
and wait staff are mostly bilingual, but I felt more confident with the
card as we visited several of the resorts many restaurants.)

Just eat lots of corn tortillas with fillings. Meats are good too.
Remember "Soy Alerheeco Al Treego (phonetic). Es muy peligroso para mi." I
am allergic to wheat. It is very dangerous for me.