From:
Eric And Carrie Bielecki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 18:19:36 -0500

Yesterday I called the Hunt's company which makes a lot of tomato
products.  I found out that "Hunt's diced tomatoes with mild green
chiles" is NOT GF.

    I mainly called about their tomato sauce which they said is GF.  I
specifically asked about the ingredients "spices" and "natural flavors."
They said that that is just things like garlic and onion.  They don't
want to be specific because they don't want their competitors to know
their ingredients.  Interesting!  They were very nice and said they are
aware of problems people have with foods such as gluten.

    The person I talked to said that if they added a known allergen
(such as gluten) they would have to tell us on the label.  I asked if
that was actually a law or just a rule they had for their company.  She
was not sure.  Does anyone know the answer to that?  She also went on to
say that MSG is already found in autolyzed yeast, so if they used
autolyzed yeast in their products, they would not have to list MSG on
the label.  Tricky.  (Still have to watch out for those hidden glutens!)

    Anyway, I hope this is helpful to everyone!

Carrie