From:
Amanda Lieberum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 14:45:30 -0600

Sorry it took me so long to post.  I received such an overwhelming number
of responses that it took me awhile to compile it all.  It turns out most
of the information was just repeated by many people.  Here is what I was
told:

1. Call ahead to notify the dentist of the need for all GF products.  Ask
that they call and receive verification via fax or in literature that
confirms each product is safe.  Many stated they go to the step of telling
the office that they will call the companies themselves if they do not have
the time.

2. Ask that they only use powder free gloves, the powder can be derived
from wheat.

3. Ask that the chart be clearly labeled on the outside, stating that the
patient is celiac and requires the use of only GF products and powder free
gloves.

4. Many said they brought their own toothpaste and floss that they knew to
be ok and that most offices were fine with this.  Others said that the
office found out very few of their products were NOT GF, and that there
were very few things that could not be used.

Finally, I used all of this advice and contacted a pediatric dentist to
schedule my daughters first appt in April.  They were very understanding
and have contacted companies in my behalf.  They even put a small box of
"known" GF products in a box to help cut down time at her first visit.
They faxed me all of the companies statements of verification and
guaranteed powder free gloves.  They also stated that her chart will be
clearly labeled with a bright red allergy sticker and then will write in
the needs of GF products.

Hope all goes as well for everyone else.

Amanda