From:
Laura Dolson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 1998 15:19:31 -0400

I'm slowly getting my kitchen shelves converted, figuring out what equipment I
want to get (so far, mini loaf pans and either muffin top pan or rings are on
my list), and experimenting with the easier-looking recipes.  (So far, apple
crisp and popovers - I was VERY pleased with the popovers, which were just
fine the next day, too).)  I'm getting ready to do a Passover cake.

So, here are some of the questions that have come up:

1) I notice in BH's first book (especially) she uses a lot of shortening and
margarine.  As I don't have trouble with dairy and try to avoid trans fats
like the plague (those partially-hydrogenated oils), I am wondering whether I
can use butter.  How will this affect the outcome?

2) I think, despite seeing conflicting references, that I have sorted out the
corn meal/starch/flour differences.  (My conclusion is that they are 3
different things, although I have seen some web sites and notes in the
archives saying that the starch and flour are equivalent.)  So now, is masa
flour (from Mexico, found in the grocery store) which says it is from "corn
processed with lime", the same as corn flour, and is it GF?

3) I'm interested in people's systems for keeping all these flours organized
in their cupboards/refrigerators/freezers.  Right now, it's a mess.

4) I think I made a mistake by buying 2 "off the shelf" GF mixes.  I'll
experiment with them, but in one, the rice flour is not as finely ground as
Bob's Red Mill, so it's a bit gritty, and the other, Arrowhead Mills, has as
its first ingredient potato *flour*, which I am now reading has very limited
uses.  Any ideas what I might do with that one?

5) I'm a little concerned as what I perceive to be the lack of nutritional
value (not to mention fiber) in some of these flours.  At this point, though,
I'm trying to just learn how to use them and not worry too much about it.
Hopefully, I'll incorporate more brown rice flour, bean flour, etc, later.
Anyone know any sources for finding the vitamins, etc, in, for instance,
potato starch?

6) I'm going to be doing some traveling, and I'd like people's ideas on some
breakfast-type goods, like coffee cake or muffins, that will travel well, that
I can make up ahead of time.  I will have access to refrig on arrival.

Whew, I guess that's enough for now!  I think the summary is going to be long
enough as it is!

Thanks so much-

Laura