From:
Karri Ann Allrich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karri Ann Allrich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 13:57:13 -0800

I received many requests for more gluten-free
family-style recipe/menu ideas, so I thought I'd post
my list- - -

Karri Ann's Family Style GF Dinner Ideas::

Tinkyada or BiAglut GF pasta (penne/spaghetti)
smothered with roasted veggies and feta, saute'ed
chicken and roasted red peppers, or salmon, Parmesan
and baby peas, or a hearty meat and tomato ragu

Lemon-pepper roasted chicken, brown rice pilaf,
sunshine carrots (carrots cooked in orange juice)

Baked potatoes topped with all the fixins -
grilled chicken pieces and saute'ed veggies, or
Mesclun salad greens and vinaigrette with feta cheese,
olives and cooked veggies -

Or a really simple supper:
a big baked potato, cut open and smothered with your
favorite baked beans and bacon, with sliced franks, or
sausages

Brown rice (our staple - super easy with a rice
cooker; I use Pacific broth for added flavor) topped
with quick stir-fried chicken, or meat, and assorted
veggies - seasoned with McCormick curry, or Thai
Kitchen peanut sauce, or coconut milk mixed with your
own peanut butter and a dash of chili spice

Risotto (arborio rice - Lundburg has great risotto
now) - stir in cooked thawed frozen shrimp and peas,
or cooked lemon-chicken pieces, sliced portobello
mushrooms, sliced sausages, with chunks of roasted
acorn squash and pecans)

Grits (cheese grits with all kinds of toppings -
chicken and veggies, sausages and Italian-style sauce,
or southwestern-style beans with green chiles & grated
cheese, etc.)

Polenta (you can make polenta easily or buy it premade
in pkgs; slice, brush with olive oil and broil, then
top with tomato sauce, roasted veggies, stir-fried
beef, chicken, bacon, rinsed black beans, Mexican
beans, black olives and lots of cheese, etc.) Or bake
slices topped with lasagna-style cheeses, meats and
sauce.

Bean & cheese, crab, beef, or chicken enchiladas made
with Mission white corn tortillas (softened first in
some warm red sauce, then stuffed and rolled into a
baking dish) baked in a 350 degree oven for 20
minutes, served with Spanish rice

Classic mac & cheese made with Tinkyada or BiAglut gf
macaroni (I use penne): I make a basic white sauce
with butter and sweet rice flour, stirred, add Half &
Half or Lactaid milk (or even soy milk) stir till
thickened, add grated cheeses, pour over cooked pasta
and add cooked chicken pieces, bits of cooked
broccolli, or ricotta cheese, top with tomato wedges
and basil or saute’ed portobello mushrooms

Franks & Peppers & Tomatoes: Cook red and green pepper
strips and sliced sweet onion in olive oil till soft,
add a large can of Italian tomatoes, herbs, and sliced
Hebrew National hot dogs, OR Perri's or Applegate
Farms sausages, simmer till heated through. This is
wonderful served on mashed potatoes, or rice, grits,
even GF pasta

Classic roasted dinner - roast a chicken, with cut up:
potatoes, carrots, squash, garlic cloves and chunks of
onion tossed in olive oil and rosemary or Italian
herbs with a dash of balsamic vinegar or apple cider

BBQ beef - saute'ed ground beef (or ground
turkey/chicken), onions and peppers, add GF BBQ sauce
and serve over rice or opened baked potatoes or mashed
potatoes

Chili - ground beef or turkey in a crock pot with two
or three different beans, BBQ sauce, onions, peppers,
sausages, pineapple, chiles, etc. Be creative!

Easy salmon pasta - I use Alaskan canned salmon,
thawed/cooked froz. artichoke hearts and baby peas -
cook up penne and veggies, toss everything in generous
amount of olive oil, a bit of butter, or sour cream,
seasonings, and lots of grated Parmesan

Baked brown rice casserole - start with 3 cups cooked
long grain brown rice, stir in pieces of cooked
chicken or beef, or flaked canned salmon - add some
sour cream and grated cheese to moisten, add bits of
cooked veggies, green chiles, pine nuts, peas, etc.
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Lately I've been doing a
salmon/spinach/feta cheese combo.

Quesadillas - corn tortilla melts - filled with
meat/chicken/veggies/cheese - grilled in an oiled
skillet or brushed with olive oil and baked in the
oven. Make tuna melts, ham & Swiss melts, or
Rueben-style melts! Simple salsa and cheese makes a
Mexican "pizza".

Lasagna - Tinkyada noodles (uncooked) with layers of
beef, roasted veggies, ricotta cheese, Parmesan, red
sauce (or for a change of pace, use sliced cooked
polenta instead of noodles)

Mexican casserole - layer tortillas, meat, veggies,
sour cream, grated cheese, tomato sauce, top with
cheese and bake at 350 till bubbling - 20 minutes. Use
grilled polenta slices for a hearty southwestern
casserole.

Omlettes and fritattas - an easy dinner:: eggs with
cheese, ham, peppers and onion, sliced cooked
potatoes, or veggies, herbs and Philadelphia cream
cheese

Quiche - crustless - use a buttered pie plate:: baked
with crabmeat and green onions, or leftover
meat/ham/bacon, simple veggies, onions, lots of cheese
(I make a bottom crust with sliced cooked potatoes)

Shepherd's Pie - cooked ground beef (or turkey) in a
brown gravy sauce (I make a gravy with Pacific Beef
Broth and arrowroot starch w/seasonings and a dash of
sherry), add in cooked carrots, peas, brocolli, etc,
and bake at 350 in a casserole with a mashed potato
topping. (I make a large meatloaf and smashed potato
dinner the night before, and use the leftovers to make
Shepard's Pie)

Breakfast for Dinner:: GF Buttermilk or buckwheat
pancakes and eggs with sausages (We also like potato
pancakes, sausages, and applesauce)

Minestrone or chicken soups with all the fixins - use
convenient Pacific broths and toss in everything
you've got!

Crock Pot stew (slow cooker style) with cut up
potatoes (both sweet, and Yukon gold), carrots, onion,
sliced cabbage, Colman beef, or sausages, Pacific beef
broth, a good dash of apple cider or apple juice,
herbs and seasonings

Chicken Cesear Salad with cooked cold chicken, or
chunks of tuna and cooked potatoes, and hard boiled
egg slices, tossed in vinaigrette

:-)

Be well!

=====